Hungry Baby

My son LOVES his rice cereal... He goes nuts when he sees the spoon coming towards his mouth. He eagerly eats the cereal. He is only 5 months!!

I know everyone says 6 months for baby food... Carrotts, Sweet Potato etc... But my son seems ready for something more than just cereal.

What do you all think?? Should I give him a little baby food??

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 10:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby food is fine! it's actually easier on the tummy than cereal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• If he's eating cereal and he's still hungry, go ahead and mix a little baby food in with his cereal and see how he does with that.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• for sure!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yep my son was at that age with doctor permission
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• why not? he seems to be more advanced with eating. none of my babies took to a spoon at that age, so if he is eating eagerly then why not
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 10:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree food is better for him than cereal. You don't need jar food, just fork mash food and let him feed himself.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• yes you can.. just make sure you do the three day count..

example.. start with mixing in apples (the baby food) for 3 days.. then switch to a different flavor.. etc.

to be sure you don't have worries about allergies.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You sure can :) My son was eating jar food by then. Doc started him at 4 months and we did cereal for a week then went to veggies. You should start with veggies. And as the pp has said, same one item for 3 days straight to watch for allergies.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Just make sure he is nursing or taking a bottle before the cereal or solids - breastmilk or formula has to be the main source of nutrition for the first year.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Rice cereal is just filler. Just skip it.
    Nurse or formula first. Solids second.
    Go direct to table foods. NO jars. No purees necessary. Avocado, pear, sweet potato, butternut squash...all these are naturall soft. Food before 1 is for fun, not nutrition because their digestive tracts are immature and they can not extracts nutrients from solids very well. Its why 6 months is the reccomendation...the gut is a little better able to handle solids. But since you startd already just have fun mealsharing. Whatever you eat give your baby to try.
    My baby insisted on stealing food frommy plate at 7 1/2 months. at 9 montths there is no fruit or veggie you can name she hasn't tried . She refuses nothing. She even eats beets, asparagus, kiwi, etc. Its fun. She also enjoys self feeding from the start.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010