Is anyone else making their kids do school work throughout the summer?

My kids are not liking me much this summer but I cannot imagine just letting them watch T.V. all summer long. I mean they do get to go out and play, watch 1 hour or less of television, get some exercise, play with friends, read etc.; but they are required to do at least 1 hour of math, spelling, geography, or any other subject of their choice. Anyway, my son is comparing this summer to being in detention. Am I the only one?

peace1234

Asked by peace1234 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes but not a lot. Enough to keep their brains going and not forget too much of what they learned. Especially my 4 yr old. Hes starting Kindergarten and I want him to be ready. I make sure they read everyday and we go to the library once a week for reading group. We also do workbooks. And museums to keep it fun.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I only ask that my daughter read during the summer and I let her pick out the books. She makes mostly A's, so I don't think it is necessary to require supplemental school work. As long as she's reading, I'm happy. Summer is for fun and a break from school. Don't get too serious.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Stick with it. You have to put your foot down. I think summer break is way to long anyways. Your a good mommy for this.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I am. I home school, and DD will not let me take a break,lol. She gets up in the morning and asks for her lessons.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I bought some books for dd, one is about animals, there are like 100 different animals, a page of each, the kid reads a couple paragraphs and then answers a few questions about it. Good for reading comprehension! Then another book that has a bit of everything subject wise, where they only do a page or two a day, for the 8 weeks of summer vacation. All together it should only take 20 mins or less. That and I like her to read everyday. She likes it though so she dosnt mind! This kid asks me for extra math work!! lol I though what are you my dd? lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• we homeschool, so yes, we will be going all year round.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I think there's something to be said for keeping those brains active. Our family keeps learning during the summer break. HOWEVER, there's also something to be said for just being a kid and enjoying the total kidness of summer break. We learn but we don't learn through formal 'school work.' There's no obvious "sit down and study this subject" or workbooks and worksheets. There's fun and game and experiences. Tonight, for example, we took the telescope outside and looked at planets and stars. We talked about space and all that goes with it. We also chased fire flies (and learned about them) We pitch the tent in the back yard and make it our reading cave: our own books - we simply sharing the experience. We take day trips to fun places but learn while. We play games that can hone academic skills - like Monopoly for money/math. We garden: math, reading, science. I think too often we forget that learning happens through play too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Do you work on you vacation? They need a break.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son is going into K in the fall, so the main thing that I was having him do was write his first name daily so that he didn't forget how; he was doing it in Pre-K, and not very well. He can now verbally spell and write our last name, too! This activity has also lead to him to drawing and writing more, which is a major step for the child who shunned anything that involved paper and a writing implement. He now asks me if he can write his name and draw, and he has been writing and drawing on his doodle-boards, too!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I just make my daughter Read during the summer, she gets to pick out the book we go to the library once a week, she has to read 30 minutes a day each day, then can go on about playing and watching tv
    bshelly

Answer by bshelly at 6:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2010