Anyone use the Your Baby can Read program? Has it worked?

My son is 15 months and he has been watching these since he was 6 months old. He is really smart, but I just wonder if those videos have helped him along or if he would have been just as smart anyway.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with musichollie. Reading is a cognitive milestone that is highly dependent on specific development stages falling into place. Also, early reading is *not* indicative of future academic success. In most cases, children that have read early and those that read at typical age level off with each other around the 3rd grade. Honestly? I think it's best to save the money spent on these sort of programs for regular old books and toys. I say this as a mom of two children that *did* read very early. My oldest was 2 1/2. My youngest was 3 1/2. They are now 8 and 5 1/2 and still work consistantly above grade level - including their reading and, more importantly, reading comprehension. We did nothing with them other than read TO them. We played games with letters and words. We made it fun. When they were ready to try it on their own, we let them. They took off when they were ready.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Sorry, I think it's a scam. The child is not really learning how to read, they are memorizing sight words. They may be able to repeat what the word is, but they will have no concept of what the words mean. The brain is not developmentally able to comprehend the process of reading until between ages 4-8. (This comes from my mom who is a reading specialist) You could gain the same results by using flash cards with your child over and over, but I think it's more important to let a child play, incorporate their learning into their play, and relax about teaching your infant to read.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my SIL ordered that, and it never came in the mail. she called them about it, but it still never came. she forgot about it until recently, when i mentioned something about it, but it's been almost a year now. i don't know anyone who's used it, sorry.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I have never used it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2010