Local Age Limit on Tattoo Laws...

I've come across a few questions in the last few days about teens and tats. And a number of moms have said that their states don't allow tattoos under 18. SO I was wondering -- What state are you in & what are the laws surrounding ages and tattoos?

**Here in PA, anyone over 16 can legally get a tat with parental consent.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Texas it depends on the shop but i believe that legally you have to be 18
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I know someone under the age of 18 can get a tat with parent consent but don't know how young it goes to.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure what the law is, but I know you can get a tattoo in TX with a parent present if you are a minor. I have seen it happen at legitimate tattoo parlors. I'm sure sure HOW young they will allow you to be, though.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Here in Kentucky you have to be 16 with an ID and parents signature or 18 with an ID
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• In Wyoming you can get a tat at 16 with parents consent
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I live in MI and u can at 16 with parent! But i live in detroit so they would prob just do it with a parent or no parent just for the $$
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• In New York City is 16 also, but I think they should make it 21. A 16 year old kid doesnt really understand exactly what they are doing and often regret getting the tattos when they become adults. Personal Opinion...
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 10:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• i live in new york state. you have to be 18 to get a tattoo, but in jeresy you can be 16 with parental consent, so me and most other people would have our parents bring us too jersey to get a tattoo at 16 and 17. it takes as little as 10 minutes to cross the state line into jersey from where i live.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't know what the Indiana law is, but everyone I know that thought it was cute to let their 14 year olds get tramp stamps took them to Michigan (we're right on the border). I know the shop that did it, and I have no idea if they really asked for proof of age or just took the moms' word for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I'd have to double check to be sure, but in NC I'm pretty sure it's 18 to get one. Tattoos are serious and should not be taken lightly but there are adults that get them on the spur of the moment and don't put very much thought into them. I have four and each one was very carefully considered before getting.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010