Kids won't sleep...I'm out of ideas

My 2 kids (Haidn who just turned 4 and Kaelen who is almost 18 months) share a room. They have to. Cannot change that unfortunately. Well Haidn has regressed basically and cries constantly like a baby. The slightest thing sets him off. I think it is because he hardly sleeps. Because at nap and bed time he just carries on and wakes up his brother to play instead of going to sleep. We have tried taking everything we can out of their room but they find something. Lately Haidn has been stealing Kaelen's favorite animal and putting it where Kaelen can't get it. Kaelen is to the point of being scared to go to sleep. However, he also starts part of it too to try and get his brother in trouble. We have tried also bargaining with him. My mom is supposed to take Haidn to Dinoland in August and we had a sheet on how to earn it by earning stars and his reaction was to rip his room apart. I need help.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• And we have tried putting Haidn in our room instead. Instead of sleeping he tears our room apart and I am tired of picking up 2 bedrooms.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Have you tried putting him in time out when he acts that way? It might also help to put your little one in your room during nap time. That way your older son has no one to fuel his fire. He may be seeking attention, so a little extra time with mom and/or dad could help.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• put the baby (18mon) in a playpen in your room, and the other own in his room. when the are both asleep put them in the same room.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It sounds like he might just be overstimulated because he's not getting that nap. Sometimes it has the opposite affect on them, when it seems it should make them totally exhausted, it's hyping him up. He needs to relax. I would make sure he gets a quite time during the day for at least an hour or so. My kids went through not sleeping as well. Close the blinds, turn out the lights and make him lay quietly in his room or the living room watching TV. Make sure there is nothing going on. Nothing to stimulate him.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• have you tried putting the two to bed at different times. Keeping the smaller one up until the eldest falls asleep. Another good thing to help keep them both calm is warm milk, my mom would give my sister and I a bottle/ glass (depending on the age) a bit before bedtime. It definitely worked and I still do it now with myself. I wouldn't batter with the eldest though, because he will probably start thinking it is a game. Try talking to him and letting him know that if he acts up he is going to have to go to bed earlier the next night. I know growing up and having to share a room with my sister was a pain for me, but my parents always disciplined which ever one of us was causing the problems at bedtime. hope this can help...
    Hurley03

Answer by Hurley03 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Yes I have the same issue! My 3 yr old still needs naps and wen she doesnt get one she is so very cranky but wen she goes in her rm to nap she decides that the wallpaper really isnt her style and that it does not need to b on the wall any longer or that her sisters markers r more fun to doodle with on the walls than taking a nap. But instead of her feeling guilty for destroying walls or her bed shes almost proud of it! Its so aggravating! I did have a cd player in her room which seemed to help calm her and I would stay in there and rub her back and tickle her face until she looks almost passed out. thats about the only solution that has seemed to work. But the music I use is sounds of the ocean and such and music with no words. Just anything to relax her but yes it is a chore and I feel for ya! Hang in there it will get betr i promise!
    Mz_Momm25

Answer by Mz_Momm25 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Keep them up until they fall asleep even if that's 11 or 12. During the day make sure they are getting enough exercise. You may benefit from counseling or parenting classes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2010