If borax doesn't work what else will?

OKay, so I'm on an ant killing mission. I swear the outside of my house in infested and I'm doing all I can to keep them outside and not coming inside. So far they haven't penetrated into the kitchen, or past the livingroom or bathroom and even then, we've done everything to make sure we have both rooms spotless to prevent them from finding anything good in either room. Today I went outside, mixed up some borax and sugar and sprinkled it around the patio and front steps (the areas that they are the worst at). If this doesn't work, does anyone have any other ideas? Can't really afford an exterminator because they are few and far between around here, thus high priced.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Black pepper, cinnamon and Peppermint oil are sents that deter ants and 100% safe.
    Corn meal sprinkled on the perimeter will kill ants as well, they eat it and it swells when they drink water.
    or you can also try a 50/50 spray of water and apple cider vinegar.
    Good Luck
    Armygrl1

Answer by Armygrl1 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It might not work if it's dry and just sprinkled out there. It seems to work better if its in liquid form. Mix the borax in sugar water, put it in an old lid or something similar and place it in several places where you see the ants. Check it a few times a day to see if there are ants swarming around it. If not, you might need to add more sugar or try honey to get them to come to it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I live on the Georgia coast and I have terrible ants in my yard. I use the boax for the yard, home defense max for my patio and around the exterior of my house, and for any large ant hills, I pour gasoline over. It kills any surrounding grass so you have to be careful to just get the hill. Doing all of this all summer typically keeps them from coming in.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 11:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Some ants like grease instead of sweet - if it doesn't work, that might be why. Try using peanut butter to lure them to the borax instead of sugar if the sugar doesn't get them interested. Also something my friend's exterminator husband told me - don't kill them when you see them around the house after you have the borax out. To work they have to take it back to where they live - if you kill them before they can, they'll just split off and start a second colony.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• lol, I did add a bit of water because I figured it would mix better.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• The ants we have are the sugar ants.. so they typically go for sugar.. I've only seen 2 other types of ant hills and those were easy enough to kill with a small ant bomb. So those "big ants" aren't so much the issue..

But I'll make sure not to kill them before they can take it back.. (unless of course I see them in my house, then the vaccuum is going to eat them up).
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010