Breast Feeding Question!!

I am getting really nervous I'm due in a month and I do plan on going back to work but am already in fear that pumping and breastfeeding are going to be to much of a choir.

Does anyone work and pump and then breastfeed at home? what if my boobs leak at work.? ehueh

plus I want to maybe do bottle at daycare (of breastmilk) breastfeed at home and formula at night.
oh hell maybe just I'll breast feed for the 8 weeks then formula feed..

mommy2be402

Asked by mommy2be402 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped every four hours at work with my daughter, they are usuallly pretty good about it. If you do that, you can save that milk for daycare! Viola! It's not that bad, it's kind of an inconvenionce, but it's so worth it!
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I was home full time with my kids. But when I did leave my oldest had formula. I tried and tried to pump, we went through 3 different models and I even tried to do it by hand... I never was able to get any real amount of milk. With the youngest we didn't start him on formula soon enough and when the time came he refused anything in a bottle, and would literally go hungry rather than take one. I know many moms don't believe in doing both, but I firmly believe that having a little formula for when you have to work or leave isn't a bad thing... As for leaking, I would say get some washable breast pads, they are so much better than the disposable ones!

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I haven't but I know many moms who have. There is a lot of support for working moms through LLL (La Leche League) www.llli.org. Go now before the baby is born!! Also many moms that I have heard of that work and nurse full time say that co-sleeping and nursing at night has been a wonderful experience... it helps mom and baby reconnect AND you get MORE SLEEP!!!! but thats up to you and your family siituation, but may be something you look into.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• with my first daughter i was still in school and pumped every day about every 3 to 4 hours. i did the same with my second daughter while i was at work. it is totally doable! than you can save that milk for daycare. i would also express my extra milk for the first weeks you are home and exclusively nursing because that extra milk will come in handy later. I did only breast milk so i'm not sure about the formula, but believe me it is soooo much easier to nurse at night. no getting up and fixing bottles and than having all the extras to wash. It also seems to be super comforting and will put baby back to sleep after the feeding :) good luck!
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I BF at home, gave pumped milk when I worked. It was fine...no reason to do formula at night, it means pain for you to start off with, lowered supply AND means a bottle has got to be cleaned, made, warmed etc instead of baby to breast..much easier.

You can do it, even if pumping becomes too low or too much for you to handle you CAN do formula at daycare and BF when home. I recommend trying to pump and only using formula if absolutely necessary, read up on it..the ingredients are seriously nasty for a baby to have, but its better than starving them.

Join BFing mom and also BFing working moms group, I am moderator of one of them and admin of the other, look through my list of groups..I have tons of BFing groups I am a member of
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I worked full time and breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've known more successful WORKING breastfeeders in my time than SAHMs. Expect to leak IN ANY EVENT. That's what breast pads are for.

You can pump and then nurse at home just fine. I did that for a year. Then I stopped pumping and continued to nurse another 14 months.

You can also give formula when at work and only nurse at home. Lots of possibilities and only removal of breasts limits you.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2010