I have a "friend" who is having her Uterus Burned...

What the hell is that? It's supposed to end her periods... I have never heard of that before... Is it new? Anyone had it done? I want info!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Health

• What is that?!!!! LOLOL I gotta know.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• no, it is basically a last resort fix for extremely heavy bleeding and major cramps (like with endometriosis) If that doesn't help the problem, next/final option is a hysterectomy
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I Googled that and it is a "uterine ablation"...it is a treatment to reduce the lining of the uterus. It won't end her periods, it will make them less heavy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It's called an ablation. My mom had it done because she was bleeding so heavily every month and losing so much iron that she was extremely anemic. It's an alternative to a hysterectomy. She loves it, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• certainly does not sound like a day at the beach... owie not fun...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 11:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I don't know what it is either but my DH has a guy he works with who's wife just had it done. It was like a outpatient surgery. She has a lot of emetional issues and my Dh said that they were hoping it would help!?! just sounds way.... ewww!! I hope it helps though, sounds drastic!
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing..----it will end her periods...it destroys the lining of the uterus. She will never be able to get pregnant then so I hope she knows what she is doing. Ewwww. I don't like the sound of that.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• It is called endometrial ablasion. It's an alternative to hysterectomy for some women who have heavy, heavy period- so much so that they become anemic and have serious issues. Essentially the patient is put under anasthesia and the lining of the uterus (endometrium) is cauterized so that the lining no longer forms. It stops periods causing heavy blood loss, but also ends fertility since an egg has nowhere to implant.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• She doesn't have any period issues. They are "stuffing" her tubes and burning her uterus all at the same time. Her doctor told her it would end her periods and stop her from getting pregnant. I'm having my tubes tied in January and she thought this would be a good alternative for me because according to her doctor it's "less evasive."

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• my mom had it done, said she was in pain for a few days. it is an out patient procedure, and she was having really bad like 3 week long heavy periods. it made them a lot lighter, sometimes she doesn't even get them.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2010