What is one piece of advice you would give to a newly married couple?

My husband and I were talking about this earlier, I'd just like to know what you all think.

momof3inTN

Asked by momof3inTN at 11:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Never leave the house/your spouse angry. If you have a fight and need to cool down, do it in seperate rooms in the house. Getting into a vehicle and driving away is like just abandoning your spouse, and can cause a lot of hurt feelings! Plus its dangerous to drive when angry, and since the other spouse more than likely knows the one who left is angry, can cause a lot of worry and extra unneeded stress (When we went to marriage counseling this is one of the best, simplest, pieces of advice we were given!)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Somebody told us, "Never get off you honeymoom." This is great advice, but it's easier said than done:)

Never go to be angry!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• COMMUNICATE, even if you don't want to.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Pick one thing you're going to nag about, and that's all you get. You can whine about the toilet seat being up or you can whine about the toothpaste being squeezed from the wrong spot. You don't get to complain about both - it's called compromise.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Don't have kids !

LOL

I think people should be married and spend time together, having fun, before having kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• be honest! ALWAYS!!! (even if it is hard!)
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• GOOD LUCK! lol. I'm just kidding. I would tell them to never keep count of who apologizes first. I see that happen a lot with me and my husband. We'll get into some stupid argument, and neither one of us wants to apologize because we always feel that we're the one who says it first, or the most often. Now, we usually BOTH apologize, no matter what, that way we can't keep track.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• Do not use words like "you never" or "you always" in an argument. It is not accurate or fair. And never go to bed angry!
    lensgirl

Answer by lensgirl at 11:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I agree with the 1st answer DON'T GO TO BED ANGRY!!! Try to keep finances in good shape and withing balance, because finances are the number one cause of fights and divorces in America. I got to say that it is true because it is happening to me, I wish someone had told me what I'm telling you... Enjoy marry life is great to be marry!!!
    GodPRKitty

Answer by GodPRKitty at 12:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Communication is always the key to a good marriage, but I have to say the biggest piece of advice I could give to a newly married couple is wait to have children. No kidding!! We were married just over 7 years when we had our first. I'm not saying that 7 years is the "magic" number - it just was the right one for us. I am thankful we waited for a few reasons. 1) We got to know each other. We learned our quirks, learned to live together, and learned about each other in ways that we may not have known if we had children right away. 2) We did SO many fun things when it was just us!! We travelled, spontaneously left on trips, went grocery shopping at 2 in the morning...whatever. It was fun. We were young. 3) By the time we had children we were older, wiser (hopefully! lol) and I believe more patient and ready to handle life with children. Besides, they will be with us longer as we get older :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010