I am pregnant so why can't I quit smoking!?!

I am almost 18 wks & still smoking. I have a 1 yr old & quit within a week of finding out I was pregnant but I started back when she was a few months old. I will usually smoke 3 to 5 a day but more if I am stressed. I have gone as long as 5 days without smoking but I just keep going back to it, I will hardly even let myself suffer through it, I just do it. My husband smokes & is supportive of me quitting. I feel so guilty about it but I just can't stop! I won't tell my dr because I am ashamed. I will try again tomorrow & hope I can stop for good!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• think that you have a child to do it for.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• you're addicted and telling your doc can help you.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2010

• I hate to sound like I'm bashing but...
    Try to keep in mind how selfish smoking is. You can quit, it really isn't that hard. I quit as soon as I saw a positive pregnancy test with my oldest. I didn't think of it as a choice. Its just something you do. My dh kept smoking for years.

You can do it!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's hard!! Good luck!!
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This is going to sound harsh, but know that I'm saying it only to help you...when you take a puff of a cigarette, visualize black smoke going into the womb and clouding around your baby...visualize your baby gasping for air...I know it's a bit dramatic, but if you visualize this when you smoke, it'll help you quit. :-)
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Hi, sweetie you need to think about your unborn child,her or his life depends on you ( don't know if u having a boy o a girl). But I think you should make a sacrify and quit smoking because most of the time you ended up on having a miscarried or having a premature baby,and in the long run may have some health problems ... if you still smoke in the long run you'll see more wornout and you will have health problems .. Think about it..
    Kajandra

Answer by Kajandra at 12:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Smoking during pregnancy especially on a few a day is not as harmful as most would have you believe. My OB told me that quitting smoking could do more harm to the baby (because of stress) then to smoke up to 5 a day. Talk to your OB about it. I never quit smoking during either pregnancy. My girls are 6 and 7 and never showed any signs of having a mom that smoked.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• quit buying cigarettes. you will feel like a jerk if you have to bum cigs every time you want one. Good luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• when a babys lungs start to develope in the womb everytime u take in smoke the baby holds its breath but of course cant for long so sry to sound harsh but thats terrible. ur already damaging your babys health. just think about it. tell your doctor. my cousin didn't quit with her 3rd daughter and when she was not even a month she just stopped breathing nd they had to call 911 and take her to the hospital. for more than a year after that they had to have her hooked up to heart monitors and everything. to me i think thats y because my cousin smokes a LOT.
    Mandyyy

Answer by Mandyyy at 12:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010