Piranha!!! OMG?!

So arizona does NOT have piranhas lol

a kid was fishing in a lake and caught one!!!

howd it get there??
someone threw it in there that had it as a pet before. WTF??

what if someone was swimming inthere!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Piranhas are cowards and only attack in groups. :) But that is still scary.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It is crazy that they found one in a lake, but definitely not unheard of. There have been many cases where people released their pet piranhas into lakes, rivers, etc. They can only survive if it is warm, and will die as soon as the water gets cold. Also, Piranhas are not nearly as dangerous as movies & tv make them out to be. Unless they are extremely hungry, they will not bite a human. They are actually timid around people.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• *raises hand slowly...* ummm who keeps piranhas as pets?? And why release it into the wild? Does it outgrow its tank or something? I'm really confused! lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• This made me think of Disney's Tarzan when tantor was a baby lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We had Oscar fish as pets when we were younger. They school with piranha in the wild and actually are more aggressive than piranha are. But they are smart for fish and make entertaining pets. I'd never release one into a river or lake, though. That would be irresponsible. But I can think of one reason why someone would -- they are moving and cannot transport the fish. We had that situation happen one time, but we were able to find a pet store that took our Oscar and was able to find him a new home.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• *grinning sheepishly* I used to have a piranha, they are fascinating in an aquarium. They can outgrow their tank. They can also attack other aquarium fish. As for why would someone release it into the wild? Well, why do people release pet snakes they no longer want or can care for? That is becoming a problem in FL, as I understand it. I can really see why someone would release a piranha into a body of water. They can survive quite well, so it isn't as if they are condemning the poor fish to a harsh existence by doing so. It is possible that the original "owner" of the fish had to move, lost their house, or something similar. Most people who want a piranha are really fish lovers, and wouldn't release it just for fun. They WANT to keep the fish, and watch it, and enjoy having it! I loved having mine, mostly for the reaction of others, the "cool", or "neat" factor. Sadly, mine died, and I'm not exactly sure why.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've known people who have had piranhas. *shrug* I don't understand why people do this to their pets, though. It's just wrong. It's not uncommon though, people let their exotic birds and snakes and lizards free all the time. Most of the time it's a death sentence to the animal, but not always. That is one way we get invasive species.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• LOL makes you wonder doesn't it. Thats crazy
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It happens all the time. How about the snake-head fish that is invading tons of ponds and lakes? They eat other fish but aren't indigenous to our country. They are a real problem in some areas.

As for the Piranha, they say that they are more aggressive when they are protecting their nests. It depends on the type of fish it is, but it left to breed and their population to get out of control they will take out a large portion of the other fish in that pond / lake.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• When I first read your title, I thought you were making some really neat metaphor for some political figure/issue. Unless the fish has a mate, population taken care of.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010