Chores...

Is it ok for me to start teaching my 6 year old to do chores?

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 12:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. I have already started having my 2 and 3 year old help me with the household chores.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 12:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yeah...I start mine out at 18 months, or whenever they figure out how to "pick up pick up" as I put it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yes of course. my twin boys r 3 and they help a lot. they pick up their bedrooms by themselves without even being asked so i give them a dollar each(: haha
    Mandyyy

Answer by Mandyyy at 12:28 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Absolutely! My kids have helped around the house for quite a while now. They set the table for dinner, feed the dog and cat, put their own laundry away. Even a 6 year old can take a rag and dust. My 7 y/o likes to vacuum, but the vacuum is quite heavy for her. If you have a lighter vacuum, they could even do that.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes. my 4 and 5 year old help me clean the house twice a week.
    they unload/load the dishwasher.
    sort, fold and put away laundry.
    wipe down kitchen counters
    wipe down bathroom counters
    clean mirrors
    they even fight over who gets to clean the toilet! LOL i've got to get that on recording before they grow out of it.

they also clean their room, of course.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Of course. My oldest two girls have chores. they are 6 1/2 and 5 years old. They've been doing chores for 1-2 years now. Mainly keep their bedroom clean. Help pick up their toys from other rooms. Put their clothes in their room where it goes. Scrape food from their plates. etc...
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 12:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes! My mom started me young and we got an allowance for it. It not only taught us how to help around the house, but how to be responsible with money.
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 12:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• heck yes!

my 4 year old helps with laundry & dishes
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, that's totally awesome of you! If you start when they are young, making it like a game and making it seem fun, they will always want to do it! Good job mom!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Heck yeah! My boys have a chore chart. Even with school being out, I update that chart every sunday and they make sure to do all that it says.

Dump trash
    Clean room
    Vacuum Room
    Mop bathroom
    Clean bathroom counter
    Wipe bathroom Mirror
    Load Dishwasher
    Unload Dryer.
    Sweep Kitchen and Bathroom.

They are even learning how to put the sheets on their beds.

I find it interesting how they wake up, run to that board and see what needs to be done that day. They hop too it and I'm proud of them.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010