How do you stop little kids from cussing?

My 2 yr old keeps saying "Dammit" (my fault... oops!) and my 4 year old is on an "I hate you" kick (he learned that one in preschool)... and I don't know what to do to break them of this! My fiance says just ignore them and they will eventually stop saying it if they don't get a rise out of you. But I don't think that's gonna work. Any ideas?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We don't stop saying it, well, except for "hate"...we don't use that word and have told our daughter it's an immediate time-out if/when she does. As for swear words, we told our 3 year old that those are mommy and daddy words and it's not okay for little kids to use them. We feel like she has the right to express herself when she's angry/hurt though too, so we gave her her own special 'curse' words. Her words are things like "scallywags" "darn it" "curses" and "great googly moogly". She picked most of them out herself. She loves having special words that mommy and daddy can't say, just like we have words she can't say. We don't make a big deal out of it if she slips and says an actual swear word, we just remind her she has her own words and she smiles and rephrases herself. Good luck!
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Time out whenever they say it...
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• stop saying it, tell them its not nice to say and then just stop noticing it. my 16 mo old used to whisper and say "shit...shit"

if she dropped something or somethin like that

i did this and she doesnt say it anymore
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• stop saying it, and don't make a big deal about it, besides "we don't say that"...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We still cuss around our daughter. But she knows that those are grown up words and not to say them. She tried once, and I told her if I hear a cuss word from her again, she was grounded from talking for the rest of the day. She loves to talk, so she didn't cuss again.
    Ignoring really does work if they are in the habit of saying the words. They do it for attention. Just don't say or do anything when they cuss and keep what you're doing. And give a little more good attention during the day.
    Or, just tell them "if you can't talk right, using the correct words, don't talk at all today".
    Give them other words to use if you can.
    Ki says "tarter sauce" (spongebob I believe), and "dang", "arrr" and "well, poo" when she's upset about something. I have no problem with kid friendly substitutions to swear words.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• For actual cussing, we don't do anything. I don't give words power (generally). We just tell him if we are in public not to do it in public. If he says I hate you though, we do punish him with timeouts and a very strict talking to because there is no way he hates us.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i agree with your husband and quit using laguage that you dont want your children using
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• When i've heard my children curse or say inappropriate words from time to time, I would say excuse me, what did you say? If they repeat the curse word or phase, I would ask them if they know what they are saying? If they can't come up with a good reason, I would tell them that they shouldn't say it. Eventually, they will stop saying it because you are teaching them that it isn't something they should be saying in the first place. They will get tired of saying it altogether.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010