When should I take my sons pacifier away?

Just curious how old your kids were when you took their pacifiers away and how you did it? My son never wanted one until his teeth came in then he stumbled across one and usually only uses it at night now. But im starting to think its time to get rid of it. So any adivce.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well the dentist told me not to take it away too early because they will start sucking their thumbs....which you cant take away and will cause the teeth to come in croocked...so i say before preschool....or whenever your child feels ready...i told my son when he was about three that if he pulled one of his teeth and he still sucked a pasifier the tooth fairy wouldnt leave him any money....he handed me the passy and we were done!!!
    wonderin-mother

Answer by wonderin-mother at 1:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We started only giving it to DD for naps and night time around 10 or 11 months I think? And we got rid of it completely before she turned 2.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I weaned my son from his paci when he was nearly 3 yrs old. It took a really long time to do it, but once he was ready, we said good-bye to it, left it on the window sill for the Pacifier Fairy, and she left him a few small presents in exchange, along with a Certificate of Achievement. I told him that it would be recycled and a new baby would get it :) One I did that, though, he stopped taking naps. If I would have known, I would have let him have it a little longer! LOL!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Only one of my kids had a paci and it was my first dd. First thing I did was when she was old enough to understand simple directions I made her leave her paci in her bed. I only let her use it while napping, night night, being sick or teething, or for drives. All other times I did not allow it. She tried a few times to take it with her but I would put her right back in bed and say...paci is for night night so if you want to keep it I can put you back in bed. When I did that she willingly threw it down. I'd say she was about a year old when I started this. Then from there I just felt like I would know when it was time. The time came when she was just about two years old and she forgot her paci for night night. I told her just go on to bed...here hold this baby doll and mommy will look for it later. She went to sleep without a fight. That night I threw them all away. There was never any issues about the paci.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 1:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I WORKED RETAIL FOR OVER 5YRS AND COULD NOT STAND TO C 5 YR OLDS WITH BINKIES. BUT IT IS HARD HABIT TO BREAK UNTIL MY BEST FRIENDS MOM TOLD ME WAT SHE DID WITH MY BEST FRIEND WEN SHE WOULDN GIVE IT UP. SHE TIED ONE END ON THE BINKIE TO A DOORKNOB IN THE KITCHEN AND TOLD HER IF SHE WANTED TO STAND THERE AND SUCK ON THE THING THEN THATS WHERE SHE WOULD HAVE TO DO IT. HER MOM SAID SHE LOOKED AT IT, PUT IT IN HER MOUTH, AND STOOD THERE FOR A WHOLE MINUTE IF THAT AND SPIT IT OUT AND WALKED OFF. SHE NEVER HEARD ABOUT THE BINKIE AGAIN AND WAS ABLE TO THROW IT AWAY. ANOTHER TATIC I READ ABOUT WAS MAKING THE CHILD THROW THE BINKIE AWAY THEMSELVES AND THEN HAVING LIKE A CELEBRATION FOR THE CHILD FOR GETTING RID OF THE BINKIE ON THEIR OWN AND PRAISING THEM FOR WHAT A BIG KID THEY WERE. IT REALLY DID WORK IN BOTH CASES.
    Mz_Momm25

Answer by Mz_Momm25 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A friend of ours cut all the nipples off the pacifiers and their child didn't want them after that. :) I always heard it was best to get rid of them when they get teeth because it can cause their teeth to shift.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 2:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• By the time a child is walking, they should be able to self-soothe

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest we took away his paci when he was 2 1/2 - we just "lost it" one night. My youngest still has his at 19 months, but only at night/nap time. For both of them, it was extremely instrumental in them sleeping through the night by 2 months, so I had no problem with them having it! My middle two never had one. For my youngest, we would probably go ahead and start trying to wean him off of it, but I'm due with my 5th in 1 1/2 weeks and I think he may need the extra comfort for a few weeks - so we're going to let him have it until he's around 2.

Answer by missanc at 7:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• DD used it until her first tooth came in at 5 months.. and she refused it and didn't want a thing to do with it again.. so 5 months :)
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 10:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010