What's your trick to keeping your finances in control?

miasmommy21407

Asked by miasmommy21407 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• letting my husband deal with it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree, I let my husband deal with them so that I won't have us strapped at home.
    Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Don't spend more than you make.

Yeah, we weren't too great at that and ended up having to declare banruptcy last year.  We haven't had credit since 2007.  Everything we buy now is with cash.  Sucks when you really need things but what can you do.  We haven't been in the red since then and our only debt is our truck (which will be paid off in 1 1/2 years).  I also find using actual hard cash helps keep spending under control.  I love my debit card for it's ease but it's so easy to treat it like a credit card and overspend.  When the money is in your hands you know that's all you have and you spend it more wisely (sometimes).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Don't purchanse things you can't afford, set a budget and put a little in savings even if its $20... eventually it'll add up.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I budget and SAVE SAVE SAVE!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Keep a small notebook with you, and write down every penny that you spend. Cut your expenses as best as you can.
    Buy towels and napkins at a second hand shop or garage sale, and stop using paper towels and napkins.
    Make your own cleaners (send me a message for a great recipe)
    Use lots of dried beans and lentils; have breakfast for dinner; plan meals and snacks before you shop; buy only what is on your list; drink only water.
    I have a ton of recipes that are healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly. If you send me a message offlist, I will be happy to send you recipes and my complete list of ways to save money at the grocery store. There are three of us, plus frequent extra teens. We eat a mostly organic diet, and spend around $80 a week on groceries

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A written budget made out by both of us at the beginning of each and every month. Pay cash for everything, no credit cards.

Join the Dave Ramsey Fans group on here for lots of good advice on budgeting and paying off debt.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I use money management software (Microsoft Money 2007) and a strict budget. A budget is not to be feared, it's only a tool.The software shows me where my money has gone and where it's going to go in the future. Every dollar coming in has a purpose and it is used for that purpose. There is no "left over" or "extra"; in our budget there is an area for fun money, and when it's gone, it's gone.

The majority of each paycheck is directly deposited into savings and checking. We don't handle the money so there's less chance of blowing it. The remainder of the paycheck is cashed and sorted into set amounts for gas and groceries. If we blow that money, we don't have gas or food.

All but 2 bills are set up to be paid automatically online, eliminating the need for handling/remembering to send checks. The money management software keeps track of all those payment for me, I just need to make sure there's enough $$ in the account.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i have alot of money stashes cause i attempt to budget but usually doesnt work out right.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 8:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have a degree in finance and I've made it a habit to live frugally. If I don't need it, I don't buy it, and it's got to be a NEED. This has allowed me to make wise investments with my money and I keep myself up to date on all of my accounts. It's a control thing with me.
    My husband, on the other hand, seems to spend more easily than I do. We have a joint account set up for all household expenses and savings accounts for each of us, along with college funds for the three boys. We agree to contribute a certain amount each month to those accounts and the rest is spent as he/I see fit.
    queenbree545

Answer by queenbree545 at 8:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2010