Spanking or no spanking??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess it depends on what they did..
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No spanking for me.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• whatever works best for you and your family.

I'm a spanker, but i hope one day i won't be.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Overall, Spanking. But not as the only form of punishment.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Absolutely not, it's proven to make children more aggressive and causes behavioral problems. It is also linked to low self-esteem in children. Girls who were spanked as children are often in abusive relationships as adults. Please take a parenting class. I took a class in the past and I learned a LOT of parenting strategies. Timeout is one of the best ways to show your child that bad behavior has consequences. However, the rule is one minute of time out per age. For example, if the child is 5 years old you will put them in time out for 5 minutes and no more. When they are finished with time out don't mention the bad behavior again. Good luck!!
    ananda2008

Answer by ananda2008 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• SPANK THAT ASS !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 2:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Spanking sends children a message that hitting can solve problems. This is not an acceptable message to me, though it certainly is to many others.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No spanking here. My kids have sensory issues--- a light tap on the arm feels like a hard punch to them-- and I hate to imagine what a hard spank would feel like for them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I use other disciplinary methods along with spanking. I've NEVER hit my kids. My kids know that hitting is not ok. They are not aggressive. They do not have low self esteem. Time outs will not deter a child from doing something that they know will get them in trouble. Seriously, who fears a time out?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, it doesn't even make sense if you look at it logically. It's an emotional reaction to something someone can't deal with in any other way. I see it the same way an abuser strikes his wife bc he just gets angry and doesn't want to communicate. It takes time to sit a child down and figure an effective discipline so they learn. Spanking is punishment only, not discipline. The only thing they learn with spanking is anger and fear, not to repeat the bad behavior. Don't believe me? Listen to parents who keep saying "I spank him/her but he/she keeps doing it!" It's because it is not effective!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2010