Tips for traveling with a 1 year old..?

My dd is 1 1/2 and is going on a plane tomorrow and I know she will NOT be okay with just sitting down for 3 hours. I packed a little bag of toys and snacks for her but I really don't think it will be enough. We have a 4 hour drive a few days later, and more planes a few days after that. Should I keep her up until we fly so she will sleep risking her being cranky and not sleeping? Or have her take a nap right before so she is more well behaved? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A 3 hour airplane ride with a 1 1/2 yr old Oh my goodness you are glutton for punishment... LOL! No really I think I would try to get her to stray up really late and hope and pray she sleeps most of the way. You poor thing Good Luck Mom!!! :)
    mistym31

Answer by mistym31 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Our daughter loved the plane at that age. I wouldn't take her off of her sleeping schedule that could backfire and you would have a cranky kid and cranky neighbor passengers. Our daughter loved looking out the window and everything on the plane was exciting to her.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 2:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Whenever DS and I flew he slept most of the flight because I booked it first thing in the morning. I don't know if changing the sleep pattern would be the best idea. How does she do if she is over tired? Bringing snacks and toys is a great idea. If at all possible bring a book or two if that is what she likes and just do the best you can to make her happy and comfy. Good luck and have a safe flight.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We flew with my son at the same age and it went ok... the waiting to get ON the plane was the worst part!!
    BUT I did learn that we should have gotten him own seat. Did you buy a seat for her to ride in her car seat? Because we really wished we had. He didn't want to sit still on our laps, was over tired but wouldn't fall asleep on our laps... I know he would have dont MUCH better in his car seat. Then we also brought new toys that he had never played with before along with snacks.
    I would have her nap BEFORE the trip. We tried to not let him nap our first flight thinking he would sleep... it back fired, he didn't sleep at all and was cranky. The flight home we made sure he had slept... and he was better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2010