Clogged duct, please help!

I've been successfully breast feeding for 6 mos and now I have a clogged duct. It is very painful my boob feels like it wants to burst. Ouch!

mama_cheyanne

Asked by mama_cheyanne at 1:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get in the shower and let the water (HOT AS YOU CAN STAND IT WITHOUT SCALDING THE SKIN) beat down on the affected breast. Massage it starting at the top and then work your way toward the nipple to encourage the clog to exit or break up.

I've had clogged ducts that turned into mastitis before. The LC said the best thing to do was to do what I mentioned above, nurse on that side LIKE CRAZY, and then to pump that side after the baby nurse to completely empty the breast and try to force the clog out. Most of the time it worked before the infection set it but sometimes it didn't.

Keep an eye on it and contact your OBGYN if you notice a red spot or a warm spot on your breast, fever or flu like symtoms along with the breast pain from the clogged duct.

Also sometimes babies are cranky about nursing on the clogged side because the milk flows slower. JUST KEEP TRYING!! It's important that the baby nurses that sides LOTS!!!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The best thing for a clogged duct is to nurse! Apply heat to, and massage the spot where the duct is clogged. GL mama! And if you start running a fever, call your doc!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• warm compress or stand in a warm shower (and by warm I mean about as warm as you can stand it) and massage. It's gonna hurt like hell but you've just gotta do it. Nursing often will help too.

Try to get it unclogged pretty quickly or it could turn into mastitis which totally sucks!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Warm compresses always worked for me. Good luck.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks so much...I'll keep you posted!
    mama_cheyanne

Comment by mama_cheyanne (original poster) at 2:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• miasmommy21407 pretty much summed it up. I'm vote her up if I still had votes.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Been there too, one thing that really worked for me - it sounds really strange (and looks even stranger), but laying my baby on her back and then dangling my breast with the clogged part facing the lower jaw seemed to help clear the duct the fastest. If you can manage it, gently swiping/massaging the clogged duct toward the nipple while in this position also seemed to help. I believe I was also helped by taking Lecithin supplement (1200 mg capsule 3x/day working way to 1200 mg once a day). Some people don't agree w/ taking this supplement, but you can research it. I've always heard the conventional wisdom too of warm compresses, but when I consulted a lactation specialist about my clogged duct several months ago, she said warm tends to inflame things more, and actually cold is better. I found compresses to not really work for me, just the 2 things I mentioned above. Hope things are clearing up for you!
    721mom

Answer by 721mom at 1:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• I used warm compress b/f feeding and cold after to help with pain. I read somewhere that you can remove the skin over the duct with a pin, so out of desperation I tried and immediately fed and continued feeding during the night and by 8 am I had relief! Thanks all.
    mama_cheyanne

Comment by mama_cheyanne (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2010