Question about 7 yr old

For any moms of little boys, I have a question about a young relative of mine. He's 7, very smart, made the A honor roll in first grade. But he has a few problems, for example: He still sleeps with a pull up on because he wets the bed, he will pee in his pants at least once a day, and he does a "stimming" type movement with his hands, similar to what an autistic child would do. He also walks on his toes a tiny bit, but not all the time. Just sometimes. I read that these last two things are signs of autism. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

Sandy1220

Asked by Sandy1220 at 2:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What you described in your comment is just like my friends 7 year old son. He's not autistic. He does things with his hands, runs on his tippy toes sometimes, obsessed with legos and builds marvelous feats of wonder out of them, and he's normal. She has a brother who is autistic so she knows what that would look like. He's so sensitive too, he doesn't even have to be punished, he self punishes, lol. Kids are just different! The bedwetting things is just a developmental thing. His bladder isn't mature yet and that is also normal at this age.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow, no. I haven't experienced any of that. Bedwetting is not a sign of autism. My brothers and sisters wet the bed, although I did not. However, all my own children did until they were 6 years old. None of my family members or my own children have autism. Bedwetting sometimes runs in families. However, you should encourage your family to have him evaluated by a pediatrician to address all these issues. Good luck!
    ananda2008

Answer by ananda2008 at 2:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Bedwetting is not a sign of autism, it is a common problem in childrena t this age especially boys who have a lack of good bladder control, it just mean that their body needs more time to develop that organ.

are the toe and hand movements done all the time? or just once in a great while? how is he socially with other children and adults? Everyone has autistic tendancies we all do even if you dont think you do, trust me you do. But what raises flags is if there are many of these tendancies and they happen all the time then you need to talk to some one. For example when my son started pacing several hours a day making a hand movement in a pattern on his forehead then became obsessed with trains, started rocking, and ignoring anyone but me i knew we had a huge red flag and needed help.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He does the hand movements pretty often and the tiptoeing sometimes. You mentioned your son being obsessed w/ trains, well he is obsessed with Legos & building things. He can build things a 40 yr old engineer would be in awe of ! LOL.
    Socially, he sort of keeps to himself, and plays by himself a lot. He does have some friends. With adults he's very shy & soft spoken. He falls apart (tears, hiding under the bed) if any adult yells at him or scolds him in a mean/gruff manner.
    It may be nothing or just an awkward little boy, but I just worry about him.
    Sandy1220

Comment by Sandy1220 (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• LOL I'd ask him about the toes. Mine was doing this awhile ago (after not having done it) and I asked him why he was walking that way? His answer? He was pretending to be an Iguanodon. We had just read a book about them and them walking on their toes. I thought he had outgrown it but noticed him doing it again and asked him about it and yet again he told me he was being some sort of dinosaur he had read about (had a specific name, just can't remember what he told me for that one)...go figure.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 3:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• is his homelife stressful?
    has he been to the dr. for the bedwetting? could possibly be a physical thing.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You can ask the school system to evaluate him if you have any concerns and they should be able to do it free of charge, or you could take him to a developmental pediatrician.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I appreciate the answers. I guess he's just very senstitive & I'm overly-worried! :)
    Sandy1220

Comment by Sandy1220 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2010