Anybody else work in hospice/palliative care?

I see patients die every weekend that I work. I feel nothing when I see them die or when I see their family crying. Sometimes I think I might be a sociopath. BTW my patients are all adults and mostly older adults. Although, I do receive a lot of comments from families about how caring and respectful I am. I must be a good actress.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 3:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• My mom works as a Hospice nurse. I'm a military wife and have a lot of friends that have seen combat. I don't know if this is what's going on with you or not, but I know that for a lot of them (and for my mom), it's sort of like you see so much death you become desensitized to it. It's not that you DON'T care, it's just that you can't LET yourself care to the extent that most people who aren't faced with death every day would if confronted with it.

Also, I know for my mom, she worked in a nursing home caring for Alzheimer patients before she switched to hospice care. She says that for her it's less depressing, even though they're dying, because she feels that death, while sad, is a natural part of life, and that by doing her job, she allows the patient to die with as much dignity as possible and as little pain as possible, and to help the family with the process. So, to her, it's a positive, though hard, job.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010