Ever had a TERM baby in the NICU?

My daughter was born at 39 weeks, which is considered term, and has been in the NICU for the last almost 6 weeks. One of the things I've had be most annoying to me is everyone, even people who should KNOW that my daughter isn't a preemie.

She has a heart condition that needs surgery (a VSD, if you know what it is), poor muscle tone, and a few other things to work on. We'll be here for at least two more weeks until she can have surgery, then recovery.

What was your full-term baby in the NICU for, and how long did she/he stay?

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 3:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was premature, however when we were at Children's Hospital, there were many full-term babies in the NICU for multiple health issues. Having a baby with an extended NICU stay is difficult, and I hope your daughter is well enough to come home soon.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I haven't had a child in the nicu that was full ....however when i was born, I was in the NICU... i think for a few weeks. Why? Because I pooped before coming out and inhaled it and it got into my lungs. :/... I was a huge baby... 9 lbs 3 oz... my mom said she felt silly when looking in at the nursery to see all these preemies and then me... being a chunker. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest was in NICU but only for 24 hours. She was 41 weeks and weighed 9 pounds 13 oz. She looked like a giant's baby compared to all the babies in there. She had a bowel movement before she was born so she had to have antibiotics right away.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest was in the NICU for 3 days - he was born at 40 weeks 3 days and was 8 lbs 9 oz. Same as pp - he looked like a giant compared to the other babies in there! He wasn't breathing when he was born, they had a hard time getting him to breathe and they had to break his collar bone to get him out because he got stuck in the birth canal.

Answer by missanc at 7:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My oldest was 42 weeks and inhaled meconium at birth, had issues where her body was producing to many red blood cells and had to have a saline transfusion, scariest 4 days of my life! My 3rd baby was 39 weeks and had a hard time regulating her blood sugar so was in the NICU for 2 days.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My guy was born at 40 wks and ended up in the NICU for around 24 hours. He scored a 4 on his APGAR and had a very traumatic birth.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010