Are you a member of the "question authority" generation?

If so, I have a question for you. Have you passed this on to your children? How does this affect your parenting?

Asked by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think i am a part of that generation...i ask why, not why me. i ask doctors everything, while many older people ask doctors nothing. not that doctors are really authority figures. i don't have issues obeying the laws. i like to follow the rules actually. my children are young and i often tell them to listen to their grown ups...this means teachers, grandparents, neighbors, etc. my older son may obey authority figures too well. he does not explain his actions if there is a possible mis understanding. my second son will not listen to his grown ups and suffer the consequences. it is his choice i suppose, do what he wants and then get in trouble for it or don't do what he wants. this is currently a family issue for us.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, yes and my children are all grown and appreciate that I allowed them to question authority. Yes they even questioned me at times but we talked about things and always worked issues out. It prepared them for real life success

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, I don't question authority. I am the authority, as a teacher, and I truly don't appreciate children who come into my classroom and are "questioning authority" to the point of being rude. If you are going to teach your children to question authority, you may want to wait until they are old enough to understand the way to do this for optimum results without being labeled a trouble maker. You can question with boldness and not be rude in the questioning. Plus, me telling a 6th grader to sit down and be quiet is authority that should be questioned. There are rules that need to be examined, but not all rules are bad. Some rules are for our safety. Like, don't run in the hall, then the kid falls and breaks a hip. The mom wanted to blame me until her son told her I told him not to run, but he didn't listen. Don't question all authority just be it is authority.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I want my kids to question some authority. Basically if it feels wrong or it is something they do not think mom would ask them to do they should question it. You can raise them to question in a respectful way no matter the age. Just don't tell them they can question everything. Tell them to question what seems wrong no matter who does it. I think that it is easier for them to understand that than how to properly question authority.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I didn't realize there was a 'question authority generation'...is that Baby Boomers? Gen X? Gen Y? What?

My parents were Baby Boomer/Hippies...they did teach me to question authority I guess; but it was more don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and ask questions if something seems unfair or doesn't make sense. I was at the same time however taught the importance of manners.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Well, I think technically my mother is a member of that generation, but she comes by it naturally because both of her parents were bit authority questioners... And then it was passed to me. And yes, I have taught my children to question everything. I have never been one to take direction, I need to know why and what I'm doing FIRST, my kids are very much the same way. We don't do anything unless we know why we are doing it and have decided we want to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, I suppose that I am. Even in the Navy we were taught to not just follow orders blindly. I was in the nuclear power program and if some new officer had ordered me to do something that was against the manual, I would not get into trouble by refusing. In fact, I would possibly have gotten into trouble by going against the book when I knew better. I know in the military, it's usually the opposite, but the Navy doesn't fuck around with nuclear power. If you know your job, you do it despite what some right out of the academy officer tells you. Now of course you don't just get biligerent, you stay respectful.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree with questioning authority but not be rude about it. Things can be said in a way that is polite to just ask why such & such is being asked of you. Although if a police officer told me to stop, I would stop, so I guess it depends on the circumstance.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• ***that should not be questioned***
    jesse123456

• I am a child of the '60s and '70s. I was raised to not blindly follow the the leader; to question when something doesn't make sense or "feel right"; to understand the reasons before making choices.

It seems to me that younger people are willing to blindly follow instructions and are less willing, or less able, to think for themselves and make their own decisions.

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2010