Weight loss QQ..Please no bashing!

KK. Need a little help here. I do not intend to starve or harm myself in anyway. If thats your answer for my question, no thank you.

I've hit my wall here. Trying to lose weight and I was doing great and they BAM! Weight came back with vengence! I'm still working out the same(1-2 hours spread out of excerise). Eating less often (no 3 big meals, but several small meals). I have replaced all my junk food with healthy snacks. Lots of fruit ans veggies.

WTH happened? LOL I mean I was doing great, dropped 5 pounds and then gained it and more back. I know i'm stressed, not sure if that has to do with it or not.

Anyway, I'm going to try to stick it out and keep going. But my QQ is, with all that I am doing how much weight is healthy to lose in a week? I heard more then 3 lbs a week is NOT right.

(I lost those 5 glorious lbs over 2 weeks.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

• It takes 3 - 4 months to gain muscle weight and that's only if you are doing strength training.
    Weight fluctuates throughout the day. The fact that you lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks indicates that most of it is probably water weight. Our bodies retain water during our menstral cycle and when we have consumed too much sodium. Sodium is more than table salt.
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. It will flush the excess water from your body and help you feel full longer.
    Healthy weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs a week. That does not mean you will have the same loss every week. One week it might be 2 lbs, the next 1 lb, the 3rd week it could be none, followed by 4 lbs the next week. It's just an average over a period of time.
    In the beginning it's water weight that is lost, when the body adjusts it's fat that is lost. Be sure to eat enough, if you drop calories too low it the body will take from muscle for energy.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It could be that you did not gain back 'fat' but muscle mass. When my sis first lost weight she did a lot of working out/exercising and she noticed that as she worked out and lost 'fat' she gained some muscle. I know it is hard work to loose weight, and it sounds like you have made some good choices on how to go about it. I wish you luck and hope you get to your desired weight!

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• In order to lose one pound per week you need to burn an extra 3500 calories. Track your calorie burn as well as weigh out your food and keep a food log.
    You need to find out just how many calories your body needs to exist and not be active. That is your basal metabolic rate. Once you find out this number, multiply it by 1.55 to get how many cals you need to be active. Decrease this number by 500 cals to get how many you should be eating to lose 1 lb per week.
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough calories to off set 2 hours of exercise. Check your numbers and you will probably start seeing a HUGE difference.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If you are worried that you are doing something wrong or eating too many calories I would write down everything you eat and drink over 3 days and then use something like fitday.com to see how many calories you are consuming. This will show you if you are overeating and where you can cut if necessary.

I personally think that as long as you are eat plenty of calories, lots of fresh fruitsa and vegetables then weight loss is healthy regardless of the amount.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• it really could be any number of things...the stress, your menstrual cycle, retaining water (too much salt or not drinking enough water), it could also be your body adjusting to the new regime.
    like others said, count your calories to be sure you are not eating too much or too little.
    you should be drinking 2-3 liters of water a day...try to keep other beverages to a minimum, at least for now.
    don't give up! keep up the good work!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Where are you in your menstrual cycle? Weight fluctuates and gaining 5lbs of water weight a week or so before your period is due isn't uncommon. I weighed myself every day for a month so I could understand how my weight changed. Now I don't freak out when I get on a scale and it's jumped up like that.

If it's cycle weight cut out salt and caffine, or if it bothers you that much get some Midol(it's got a mild diuretic). Either of those should help with the water weight.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Oh! Healthy weight loss is considered 1-2lbs a week. Anything over that falls into 'rapid weight loss' and is only recommended if you have more than 30lbs to lose, and should be supervised by a doctor and/or nutritionist.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010