How long do you wait for a call about a job?

Interviewed 20 days ago, sent a thank you note, emailed about the opportunity last sunday, got a reply on Tuesday. i don't want to appear anxious, so i'm just laying low. sounds promising, looks promising..............concerned about references from the past as well. it's been 5 years. maybe i'm just paranoid about getting back into the career I left to raise my boys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you would be fine to call and just tell them you interviewed for the position and you were wondering if they had filled the position yet. I wouldn't wait on the job but keep looking while you are waiting.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd call them. My df had an interview where the person was concerned about his work history, not that great. He called him everyday for a week to show his dedication and persistance and they hired him!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Keep in mind that a week in corporate time is like a minute in the real world.

I would send an email no more than once a week; keep it brief and professional, checking to see the current status of the hiring process.

Good for your for sending thank you notes!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am in the same boat that you are in. Did they give you a date that they expected to have chosen a candidate? What did they say in the email reply you received on Tuesday?
    I interviewed by telephone on June 2. I got a call for an in person interview for June 17th - same job. I felt both interviews went very well - the doctor said she thought I would be a good fit and she entered my telephone number into her cell phone. I sent personal thank you notes to everyone I came in contact with. I was told they had 1 more interview and would be making a decision by the end of last week (the doctor- dental director- is only in the clinic on Thursday and Fridays)
    My concern about references is that my last employer was a jerk. He lied to unemployment and we caught him in those lies during mediation.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• PrttyMstng.........Well, I think that a contact this week isn't inappropriate. I'm going to take the suggestion from RKOLMOS and be short and sweet about the "status". Just hard going after the career job, rather than the "job". References from the past can be haunts to anyone. Believe. Or try to believe.
    frazier4

Answer by frazier4 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• rkoloms nailed it...corporate offices move like molasses in January. We've had positions opened for weeks before Corporate will even approve a req, nevermind actually hire anyone!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• deadheadjen,.........so corp has to approve a req? in otherwords, if i'm the candidate, everyone has to agree first, right? i really don't mind waiting for the call. my summer plans are full and i hate to miss any of it, but I just wondered what the hold up was. i remember having to wait until the position was closed (interview process was technically in session), before i could make the final decision. LOL on the molasses in Jan. so technincally, it's only been 6 days since i last heard from the hiring manager so maybe wait a day or two before I respond again?
    frazier4

Answer by frazier4 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Being new to this cafemom posting..........what's the level reference under the names?
    frazier4

Answer by frazier4 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree about waiting to hear from the employee.
    The numbers and the levels are a new thing to cafemom. It has to do with the number of questions you answer.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:12 AM on Jun. 28, 2010