• In the Spotlight:

How do u stop baby from biting while BF(ouch)

my son is almost 10 months, I want to continue BF but he bites alot, I dont remember this with my other 2

tishmomof2

Asked by tishmomof2 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take the boob away - if he bites no more milk period! He will learn fast!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yeah I agree with pp. I would take the boob away and stay no bite in a firm voice then wait aminute and try agian. If the bitting happens again repeat but this time wait 5 mins before trying again.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If he's biting, he's not hungry anyway so remove him from the breast and give a firm NO. There's no need to try and continue the nursing session. Wait until his next scheduled feeding.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I totally agree, if I felt teeth it was over- bite mommy and no milk for you! I would say "Ouch, that hurts!" and tuck the tatas back into my top. Sure, he cried the first couple of times but it was more because he was upset and confused than because he was hungry ( he was eating solid food too) and it only took a half dozen times for him to get the picture.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 8:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Besides babies think it's fun to experiment with the action/reaction thing. (I bite mommy and she makes a funny noise. )
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've had this happen on & off with my 7 month old when her gums are bothering her or if she just wants to look around AND nurse. I take her off my breast, say 'No', & sit her down away from me for a minute. She hasn't tried to bite in about a month now...we'll see when the teeth come in....
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• In full agreement here. If LO bites, you take away the boobie and say "No bite!" Give the kid a minute for it to sink in and then continue with lunchtime. :) I know it hurts. My youngest, at two, still nurses, and that kid has a whole mouth of teeth. It's never on purpose but sometimes when she's falling asleep, she clamp down and YOW!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I said "No!" sternly and put her down. The nursing session was over. My daughter only bit a couple times before she learned that got her nowhere. Also they can't bite while they are actually sucking, so you can kind of learn when they are finished and take your nipple away before he has a chance to bite.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I kinda flicked my dd when removing the breast didnt work. NOT HARD..just a tiny flick on forehead to startle her. It worked..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Watch for when he tends to do it (at the end of a feeding? at the beginning?) and take him off before he bites. The best info on biting and TONS of tips on how to handle it at When Baby Bites

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010