IEP today=yuck!

today I go to my daughter's IEP meeting, she is almost three, has delay in speech and other issues. I am dreading it, a room full of therapists telling me how delayed my daughter is and what services she will have for next fall in the school system.
wish i had someone to go with me
what thoughts can i keep in my mind until metting (12:30 central time)
it is going to be a LOOOONG morning until the meeting is finally here and over with

i know she is delayed, just not looking forward to a room of people telling me how delayed she is

YUCK

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 8:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• growing up i had a iep, i never had therapist at the meetings it was only teachers from the iep classes i was inm in highschool! just stay strong for you littlle girl and everything will be ok if anything you know shes smart kids with iep and ADD are snart and go far in life !
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As a mom who has been to countless IEP meetings for all 3 of my kids here is my 'advice'. YOU know your daughter best and YOU are her 'voice' at the meeting. The goal is to come up with a 'game plan' for your child and what needs to be done to help your daughter overcome the delays. Ask questions, if you are not sure of something let them know. Do NOT let them push you into anything you are not comfortable with or do not agree with and do not sign off on the paperwork until you are satisfied everything is in order. Also-- once and IEP is in place they MUST follow it and make sure it is enforced. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Just remember, a speech delay is relatively easy to remediate. You are going to the meeting to help your child. I am sure you will do fine. Don't let the fact that therapist are in the meeting. If you don't understand something, stop them and ask for an explanation. Take good notes and make sure you get an agenda, a copy of any recommendations, and don't let them have something signed later. If one of the people aren't there, they don't get to sign.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• As a teacher, I am sorry you feel this way!!! All the IEPs I have been involved in have been positive. Yes, we have to outline where your child is at. I'm sure as a parent that is hard!!! BUT it is so important for everyone to be on the same page. Try to stay positive becuase we are trying to help your child!!!! IT will be nice to hear all the goals set for her. I'm sure she will meet all her goals come the Spring!!!! In my expereince I see a TON of growth in the spring time...so don't be disapointed if you dont see it right away!
    Also, be involved, speak up. You are with your child more than the therapists. If you see something that they havent let them know. If you disagree or agree let them know. Ask questions. Some of the best IEPS have been with parents who are assertive and tell us things about thier child! BE prepard to share with everyone a little histroy about your child. if you have any other questions msg me!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Good luck mama!!
    momma2b2008

Answer by momma2b2008 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I went through the samething last year! My oldest son has speech delay. He was put on an IEP, but this next school year he wont be. I'm pulling him out of preschool because they never worked with him. His speech has gotten better being home with me than at the school in speech therapy (not saying it'll be the same for you!). Then when I told the school I wanted him off the IEP they told me it was the teachers choice not the parents. Which is a bunch of BS!
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• it's not that bad. Actually the goal is to allow her to be as independent and successful as possible. It won't be so much "your child is delayed" as it will be "this is what we are going to do to help her overcome her limitations." I've seen my non-verbal boys make great strides and progress because of the plan we put in place for their education. Work with the teachers and therapists. And know that what they are doing is meant to help your daughter be successful. If things don't work out so well you go back and make adjustments. It's hard at first I know. I cried the first time around. Good Luck and remember it's to help her overcome the things that are setting her back. ((Hugs!!))
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've gone to a few IEP meetings for my osn. They are not bad, in fact I thought they were interesting and brought things up with him we hadn't thought of. I will admit though that in kindergarten when they tested him and I went to the first one- I thought what the heck? there is NOTHING wrong with him... I thought they were crazy , until the meeting ;)
    He was eligable from them until he hit 7th grade- he tested at the end of 6th and wasn't eligible anymore-it was nice, but at the same time- I feel he could have used it a little longer.
    Don't woryy, look at it as a good thing- the teachers and everyone involved at all 4 schools he was at (we move a lot) were very helfpul and wanted to help him.
    :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• she has been in birth to three for almost a year
    three therapists from that
    almost three so new set of therapists testing for school system
    i have read many books about SPD, Autism, the GFCF diet
    etc etc etc
    has had two appts with dr who is testing for autism
    this friday third appt with autism doc, i assume he will be close to having enough info to give his diagnois (where is the spell check-lol)

just need a break!

S/O is not that involved, wish i had more support from him
    i have asked him to read one book about autism (he has not)
    i said i would read to him, he was not interested
    wonder if he will even remember she has this appt, when he gets home it is all about his day
    do not think he could name person that has been her therapist for the last year
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010