Has anyone bf while taking care of two small children?

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and I really want to be able to bf. With my 1st I was unable and my 2nd had a milk allergy. My kids will be 26 months and 12 months when my 3rd is born and I was wondering how difficult it is to be able to bf while having small children to care for too?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if you get something like a Hotsling to nurse baby in, it will be much easier to take care of your other children & do other household tasks.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think it will be any more difficult than formula feeding. Either way, you have to take time to sit down and feed the baby, right? Plus with formula feeding, you will have to prepare the bottles, wash them, etc etc whereas with breastfeeding, just have a seat and go to it. And you probably know how much better it is for the baby :) Go for it and do the best you can--taking care of 2 toddlers and a newborn will be challenging but you'll get through it and nursing your baby will be something you'll likely never regret!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I can't even imagine. I guess at times it will be hard because you have the other 2. I'd make sure yo uhave a play pen or such so you can corral the other 2 while you BF
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I did it with my children being 7, 5, 4, 3 last year. They were a little older but, I gave them an activity or they could sit beside me and watch tv. I think if you make something that naturally happens then they won't have an issue.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I've nursed all 3 of my kids. (They're now 5, 2.5 and 6w). I'm do well enough with keeping up on everything. With my first and second I was doing daycare. When I was nursing my oldest I was also caring for a 4yo, 2yo, and another baby. With my second I was carring for 2 2yo's and a 1yo. Both times my home and sanity survived.

Just stick with it. It only gets easier!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my kids are 6,5. 2 and 2. i am breast feeding my one month old.
    i highly recommend kellymom.com and la leche league for information about breast feeding too.
    congrats on your growing family!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• It's not hard at all. :) I have four, sixteen months between each, and have nursed quite successfully. I did use a sling quite a bit with the fourth. She turned two at the beginning of the month and is still nursing, in fact. lol The other kids just have to understand that the baby needs to nurse. It helps if your SO is helpful about looking after the kids.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My daughter was 16 months when my son was born, and it was really challenging. There were times I would have to 'detach' in order to get my daughter from playing something she shouldn't play with or other distractions. He was also tongue-tied and had a really hard time getting enough to eat the first 8 weeks. I stopped after 2 months. He's healthier than my daughter, who I nursed for 6 months. Try it, see if it works, because if it does it's worth it.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 10:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am with crystalhuskey here. I just had my 5th and my others are 8,6,4 and 19 months. I nursed in the hospital but stopped once I got home. My 19 month old is into everything and I do not have a playpen to keep her in. I don't believe in caging my child so I can do something. I had other issues with BF too so it wasn't just that. Even when I pumped I was getting blood and that to me is not healthy. You do what is best for you and your family. For me and mine, BF with 4 other children while husband works 16 hour shifts is not something we can do.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I breastfed twins while taking care of my 2 yr old. Hell yeah it was hard but this is when how much it means to you comes into play and time management skills. Everyone adjusts and it all really falls into place. You can do it.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010