Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

one on one aide for special needs child at pre-k?

I have a friend with a special needs child. She was deprived of oxygen at birth. Doctors didn't think that she'd survive or if she did, she'd be a vegetable. However, she has the cutest personality ever. She's non-verbal (but has "sounds" to get her point across) and non-mobile. Is it possible to get her an aide just for her when she starts school?


Asked by doodlebopfan at 9:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Health

Level 20 (9,525 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Early Childhood has to be offered through the public school system. Here it's part of Nevada Health and Human Services, but every state has some form of it available. She would first start with contacting that department (you can Google to find who to call in your state) and request a full evaluation to be done by them. It takes about three hours and they will evaluate everything from speech to fine motor, do hearing tests, etc. To qualify it's usually more than 25% delay in two areas or 50% delay in one area. The parents and the team will write up an IFSP together and agree on it. Then she can be placed in one of a number of programs through the school system. Regular Early Childhood classes in the states I've lived are usually 10-12 kids to 2 adults, four half days a week. In addition to that, they will provide her with any therapies (occupational therapy, developmental therapy, speech therapy) she needs.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Depends on the budget and resources of the school. Her doctor will probably need to write a note. It will be easier to get an aide for k-12 then it will be for prek because prek is not mandatory.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Thanks, matthewscandi!

    Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Tell the mom to contact the Director of Exceptional Children at the administrative offices of your school system. There are lots of resources available for students who are to be included in normal settings. We have an aid for a wheelchair bound student at my school.

    Answer by jesse123456 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Oops, the IFSP is before age 3. After age 3, it's an IEP.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

Next question in Health
Diabetic and