Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

one on one aide for special needs child at pre-k? (asked in Health also)

I have a friend with a special needs child. She was deprived of oxygen at birth. Doctors didn't think that she'd survive or if she did, she'd be a vegetable. However, she has the cutest personality ever. She's non-verbal (but has "sounds" to get her point across) and non-mobile. Is it possible to get her an aide just for her when she starts school?


Asked by doodlebopfan at 9:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 20 (9,525 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • The school will determine the need for a one on one aide. I thought for sure my son would need a one to one aide. I was wrong. It does vary from state to state and even school to school. You will have to get an IEP in place and let them determine if it's in her best interest to have one on one support. From experience sometimes it is a hinderance instead of beneficial.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • I know here they aren't eligible for one until kindergarten. She'll need an IEP-individualized education program- to determine eligibility.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • Thanks butterflyblue19! That helps a lot! :)

    Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • It depends on your state and county. I teach in Michigan ( 3 yar olds). In my class we have 1 special needs aide for up to 5 children. We also have the regular classroom aides. We all help out though. As butterflyblue stared she needs an IEP. I'm sure that this child already has one in place and if not the parent needs to ask for one. Let me know if you have any other questions!

    Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

  • I would imagine the answer is dependent on state guidelines. If she qualifies for Head Start or a preschool program specific to her needs, she should also qualify for an IEP and with that, you've got an open platform to start building upon. The ADA requires schools to make reasonable accommodations for a student with special needs. The committee working with your friend on the IEP will be able to better answer what constitutes reasonable accommodations - which may vary greatly from age level to age level and/or school to school.

    Answer by ldmrmom at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

Next question in Preschoolers (3-4)
normal for a four year old??

Next question overall (Health)
Diabetic and