How to bring up proper carseat usage with someone you don't know?

I just moved into a new apartment. I've only met and spoken to my upstair neighbors once or twice. I can't even remember their names. I do remember them telling me they have an 8 month old. Their car is usually next to ours and I noticed her carseat is forward facing. She's EIGHT months old. I'm not shy about telling people I know about full term rear facing, proper installation, and legal minimums. But how do I bring this up? We rarely pass eachother up. It'd be weird to just go up there and knock on their door to teach them about their carseat. I'd also feel wrong if I called the police without telling them myself first. I don't want to feel awkward or rude but this is a real safety issue. Should I just print out some info and leave it on their windshield?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I like the windshield idea. However, have you SEEN the child in the car? I keep extra FF seats in my car for when my niece or neighbor are with us, however, the infant would have a carry seat that I take in/out of the house. Just a thought.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I'd just ask "Were you aware that at your child's age he/she should be in a car seat that....?"

Answer by admckenzie at 9:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i wouldn't say anything.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ..if u had told me id have told you to mind your own damn business honestly, i cannot stand mothers that feel the need to stick their noses/mouths in how others do things with their children drives me nuts
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• In my state the forward facing seat is all about weight. When the child reaches a certain weight you can turn it around. Plus, I don't consider an 8 month old an infant. You need to tread carefully. You are not the car seat gestapo who gets to tell other people how to manage their children. You will make enemies quickly at your new apartment if you aren't careful.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I guess you could try and do the windsheild idea.....it is hard to tell someone you really don't know. I would feel the guilty conscious like if I don't tell her something could happen....That 8 mon. should def. not be forward yet.....maybe she doesn't know?? Do they have any other kids? Maybe see if she actually puts the 8 mon. old in there to be sure......?? Good Luck!!
    MayMommy07

Answer by MayMommy07 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Taking care of infants whose parents aren't (maybe it's just a lack of knowledge or someone GAVE them a FREE FF seat. However, If it's a convertible, it should be reversed) should be ALL of our business. It doesn't mean that she's IN her business, just concerned for the child. Not to mention, trying to save her a ticket. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Really, I wouldn't. It's totally okay here and most car seats are facing forwards. Where I live, if you approached someone and stuck your nose into their business, you might just find your windshield smashed in when you come out next time. Unless I see a child hanging out the window, I am not reporting anything! I've learned from that stuff. It's best to keep quiet, IMO.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree doodlebopfan. Helping others is not a bad thing.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Print info out on proper car seat safety and put it anonymously on their car windshield like you said then MYOB. I think it is horrible to think of calling the Police on these people. You are really looking to open a can of worms since you know nothing about these people & you live close to them. We all have enough in your lives to worry about without imposing on other people especially those you do not know. At least they use a car seat! Car Seats did not exist when we were small & we survived. Accidents happen in many ways not just in cars.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010