Do you support the Humane Society?

smokeybear

Asked by smokeybear at 9:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. Well, I use to. A friend of my son adopted a cat. The cat needed to go to the vet and the friend could get the cat there but not pick it up, so my son did her a favor (well, I did the favor). I went and got the cat and brought it home until the friend got off work to pick up the cat. The lady who did the paperwork for the humane society was in the vet's office when I picked up the cat. She followed me home and had friends meet her at my house. They surrounded me and demanded the cat saying it was not to be given away. I actually called for my sons to come down to help because I felt threatened. They grabbed the cat (in a carrier) out of my hands and drove off. My son's friend reported the cat stolen, but never got the cat back. The lady lived 2 houses from my FIL. I went to speak to her but she accused me of animal cruelty. No more support from me after that. Those people are crazy.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I used to, but after getting donation requests from PETA I had concluded that they sold my name to PETA to be put on their donation list. I adopted my dog from the humane society. But after getting donation requests and them sending me donor gifts (even though I never gave to PETA) I stopped sending donations to the Humane Society.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No. I would, however, support the "no kill" shelters. I got my doggy from a shelter in Kentucky. It was no kill. In fact they rescued my dog from the human society, where they were going to kill him because he only had one eye and they would not be able to adopt him out. He's a wonderful dog and I thank God everyday they stepped in.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow, Jesse! How horrible.

I would probably say yes, but I have also had issue with the local office. We went to get a dog for my son. We found one we really liked, but they said we couldn't adopt it until Friday (It was Monday). I told them I wanted to adopt it and they said fine, they would hold it for me, and I could take it home on Friday. My son and I went to visit the dog every day. On Thursday, we showed up and the dog was gone. It had been adopted out, even though they said we couldn't have it until Friday.

This is pretty upsetting for a seven yr old boy, and I was pissed that they lied to me.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Our local one is under investigation for their practices, so no. I support the ideals of the Humane Society, just not the one here.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• NO.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I will only go to a shelter that I agree with their practices. One shelter around here tattoos the dogs on their belly so that if you lose the dog they know who it belongs to. They are large tattoos of a 6 or so digit number. I refuse to get an animal from there.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ...She followed me home and had friends meet her at my house. They surrounded me and demanded the cat saying it was not to be given away. I actually called for my sons to come down to help because I felt threatened. They grabbed the cat (in a carrier) out of my hands and drove off. My son's friend reported the cat stolen, but never got the cat back. The lady lived 2 houses from my FIL. I went to speak to her but she accused me of animal cruelty. No more support from me after that. Those people are crazy.

***

jaw drop

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ours are pretty good. They just opened a new local branch and they see really nice. They have a FB page and have asked for local photographers to come down and take pictures of the animals to post and help get them adopted. I have to tell you it's REAL affective when they post those pictures with the tag line "been here too long" God it breaks your heart!! I will be volunteering when school gets back in because you cannot bring kids, even older ones, down to volunteer anymore AND my girls would want to bring them ALL home!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• A lot of the no-kill shelter people are crazy, too. Friend of mine used to volunteer with one until the psychos scared her off - she was honestly fearful for her safety because she didn't march lockstep with all their decisions. One of our local Human Societies was put under state investigation after the local news did a hidden camera investigation. It was horrible. Unfortunately there is no shelter where you are guaranteed to find sane/rational people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010