Is it normal for a 7wk old to not poop in two days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have read that pooping every day isn't needed, that it is normal for it to happen every other day or even less frequently. When in doubt, call the pediatrician's office and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 10:00 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would definitely call the doctor and see what they say. They may tell you to give the baby a little karo syrup in the bottle, or prescribe some laxative, but they may also say wait another day and see what happens.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• some docs swear that a newborn can goa a WEEK without pooping and its fine but I never listened to that. I mean how would we feel after that long right? call the doc and if you have to lie, say its been longer and see what they recommend. a baby that young I dont want to recommend anything personally. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• i was told that for breast feeding babies, as long as they continue to eat, then everything is fine.
    you could try a bath or try bicycling their legs.
    sometimes we feel better if we just do something
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My aunt is an R.N. When my little one hadn't went in a few day she told me to use a bulb syringe...what i call the snot sucker...ewww...LOL...take a tiny bit of warm water with just a drop of dish detergent and put those few drops up in the rectum...not very far! Just the tip....It worked immidiatly for mine....but honestly I would call the dr first.
    jayken

Answer by jayken at 10:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If your child is breastfed, it's completely normal. If you are worried tho, definitely call your doc :)
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• it's totally normal. don't flip out lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thank you everyone!
    KaiyaLee

Answer by KaiyaLee at 10:38 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• If your breastfeeding, the BM is so easily, and completely digested that there may not be enough "left overs" to form a bowel movement. My LO would go poo once a week. As long as your LO isn't showing any signs of tummy discomfort, or passing hard, pellet like BM's when s/he does have one, all will be well.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Breastfed or formula fed? If baby is EBF "It is normal for the bowel movements of a breastfed to decrease in frequency when the colostrum, which has laxative properties, is completely gone from the mother's milk after about six weeks of age. A baby this age may continue to have bowel movements as frequently as five times a day, sometimes even after every nursing. It is also normal for a breastfed baby older than six weeks to have only one bowel movement every few days. Some healthy babies will have only one bowel movement a week." From Is my breastfed baby constipated?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010