"I don't like black people"

This is what a 6 year old that I babysit said this morning. My son reacted and said" What are you a racist or something?"The child responded, "Yup". I said, "Well, how would it make you feel if someone didn't like you just because you are white?" He laughed and said " I don't care".
I don't know where this child gets it from.I've talked to his mom about it, she's exasperated with it herself. They have an 8 yr old that comes over too and he's never spoken like that.The 6 yr old draws Nazi signs everywhere.When we paint, thats what he makes.The family doesn't seem prejudice at all,its just the 6 yr old. The mom has talked to him,I've talked to him.He even said he doesnt like the president because he is black.
My question is, if kids don't pick this stuff up from home..where the heck do they get it from? Its so sad to think that this kind of stuff is still so embedded in society that a 6yr old picks it up. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Friends and television have more of an impact on children. I have noticed that if my kids see a kid their age doing something on tv, then they think it is acceptable. He needs to be around kids of all races. Maybe if you invite a kid or two to your house, who are not white, and make him get along with them, he might start to realize that people of colors and walks of life are indeed just as good as white people. Good luck, I know I can't stand that type of thinking, it drives me crazy.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2010

• A six year old has learned it from somewhere. I think the best thing you can do is, when you hear him make an inappropriate comment like that is to calmly tell him that everyone is special no matter what color they are and it is sad he feels that way. Then drop it. The bigger deal you make of it at that age, the more fun it is to keep going to get a reaction. I definitely would calmly address it every time he says something like that. Keep reminding him his views are not acceptable here.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Seems like he would have had to have gotten it from somewhere. Sure it isn't the parents, but they just hide it well. Or maybe it is some crazy uncle or something that he is getting it from. Have you spoken to his mother about it? Maybe you should.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• At his age he is most DEFINITELY getting it from home--maybe not the parents, but possibly grandparents, aunts, uncles, or older cousins?!

I come from the "scared straight" school of thought and if I were his mother, I would SO arrange to have him meet with several upstanding black members of the community--like a police officer, construction worker, fire fighter, or someone who likes to work out--A LOT!! Then have him present his racist "opinions" to them!!! LOL :o)

If his parents are REALLY concerned, they would be nipping this behavior in the bud, which is why I don't think it's being done, and it is tolerated. Very sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Where would a 6 year old learn about that particular symbol too. I wonder if they really fully understand what they are saying either. I think this has to be an adult influence and if it was me I would be finding out the source.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Not all children feel this way because of the parents.

My 8 year old for the longest time had us worried, he seemed very prejudiced and he did NOT get it from us, we are a family that could rival the united nations we have every race and ethnicity around floating through our family. But he did not like black people or people who he did not precieve as "white". It was stressful for us since we had no clue where he was learning all of this from. Now at 8 he seems to have lost all of those prejudices, but on occasion we still hear something that we have to go back and correct.

As he got older we have come to 'Think" it might be from what he was watching and twisted it, he loves history and soaks it up like a magnet. A couple of months ago he was watching one on Hitler and guess what all Germans became bad people to him, we have fixed that....continued
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thats sad :(
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• daddy could be racist. My mom isn't racist but my dad is. I learned best from my mom but my sister who is really malliable learned racism from my dad. BTW my parents are now divorced. Anyways the mom might indeed not be racist. She probably knows exactly where he's getting it from but doesn't want anyone to know that her husband is an ass. It is entirely possible for one child in the home to not be racist and the other one be so. All on how much of a bond the child has with which parent.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 10:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ha the little girl next door is "racist" She always comes over talking about how bad black people are and tells us how her brother and dad tell her not to be friends with negros,but theyll let her come over our house and eat dinner every night?..and a six year old picking up that stuff just from anywhere? no chances are he must hear it in the home or somewhere close to home,continuously,no 6 yr old is already going to have it instilled in their head that the y only like one race at that age,my 8 yr old doesnt even know what a swastika is!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Dont let his mother fool you. Her son is getting that crap from home. He is 6 and lives at home with his parents right? Of course she wont tell you she feels that way. Maybe stop babysitting for that family because they are bringing negativity to your children.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 9:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010