How long does it take you to pack for a vacation?

You are packing for you and two kids. How long does it usually take you to pack and do you do a lot of preparation before hand? Like make lists and go buy travel sized things?

It seems like it takes me forever to get organized and packed for a vacation, especially since my kids don't pack themselves. At 7 & 5 years old, I would end up taking a suitcase full of legos, barbies and princess dresses.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I start going through clothes and stuff about a week ahead. I make sure all fits, are repaired (buttons, hems, tears....) washed, and nothing is needed to be bought. I make list of things I always forget to help with that. About 2 days out, I begin to stage things and pack anything that won't be needed before we go. We always pack the car/RV the night before. Any tickets, maps, addresses, and such are in the car the night before. I make sure I have any money I need, but debit cards have made that not so important. I have packed for a family of 5 for years. I now pack for 3 and still do it the same way. It just takes all the stress out of it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 2 or 3 days tops Im the only one packing for 4 people!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Too long! LOL I usually have to start packing 3-4 days before we leave. And I have to make a list and check things off as they go into bags, otherwise I am bound to forget something. I usually have to pack for 3 kids and 2 adults.

Last time we let our older two (9 and 7 at the time) help. They each had to pack 1 book bag with stuff to keep them occupied while we were driving. That was all the toys/books they were allowed to bring. And then those bags got placed on the floor by their feet so they could easily reach them while we were driving.

But when it comes to clothes and such, I get to do all the packing or they'd be forgetting toothbrushes and replacing clothes with GI Joes. LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• depends on where we are going, when we are going and for how long LOL Last year we went to Myrtle Beach and it only took me a couple of days to pack everything up, load up the car and go. However we bought most of our stuff there - diapers, wipes, food etc.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 10:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• okay...im going to embarrass myself here...but i start making lists and practice packing a month in advance.

even before i had my DD i would make a list of every single item im taking and make sure it can all fit in the suitcases im bringing. this year we're going to my MIL's and ive already got every outfit picked out for the 3 of us and ive packed 6 times. i really just enjoy being organized and i LOVE packing. plus, we are flying and i dont want to bring more than one suitcase...$20 is WAY too much for one suitcase!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Were starting today,and we usually always have extra stuff that we buy to pack also,so about 3 days,for a 6 day trip lol
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 10:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I pack all of us when we go on trips (myself, husband, and our son) and it takes me less than an hour usually. I don't need to make lists, I just have a picture in my head of all the things we need and can quickly gather it all and get it ready to go.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Usually about an hour or so, unless there's something I have to buy at the store. We make frequent trips to Florida, so I'm use to packing now. But I'm always afraid I'll forget something important....
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Wow! I usually start at least a week before I go. I like to make sure the house is super clean first so that I can make sure everything I want to take is in it's place before I go looking for it to put it in the suitcase. And lets be honest, who wants to come home to a messy or dirty house? Not me.

I have to make lists when I am going to visit family because they usually ask me to bring them things they can't find easily where they are.  Then again, I am a list maker at heart.  I love being able to check it all off as I get things done. 

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I can do it in one evening, but I'd rather take a full day. I don't make lists, I just lay everything out on the bed first. 8 pairs of underwear, 8 T shirts, 3 dresses. That way I can make sure it's all there before it goes in the suitcase. I also like taking one suitcase per person. That way it's easier to stay organized once you're there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2010