My son acts horrible !

He is only 21 months old and I am lost.... he is sooo bad I know he knows how to listen but he wont. He hits, bites, scratches... he is especially mean to my 3 year old.... it feels like I have tried everything... my 3 year old never acted like this in the slightest

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Consitency is the key. You have to have the same consequences for the action every time it happens. Try to focus on the behaviors you want him to continue & over praise him, give him stickers for doing things well. Part of his problem may be not being able to communicate what he wants/needs. How is he talking? Also sibling rilvary may be a part of this. Try finding fun activities they can do together w/out it turning into a competition. For example get them both their own bubbles to play w/ instead of them sharing the one.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sounds like typical terrible twos. :( Some are tougher than others! I think the hitting and being mean to others is the toughest side effect of dealing with the terrible twoer,lol. Say a prayer each morning ma...to grant you the patience,lol. Count to a hundred often. Drink plenty of chamomile tea to help you keep calm. Decide how you want to discipline or redirect the negative behavior and stick to it and consistently follow through...even when you feel like throwing your hands up in the air, falling on the couch and saying "OI GIVE UP!". When he starts lashing out, pick him up and remove him from the situation. Place him in a playpen or other time out place. Do not make eye contact if he is screaming and throwing a fit.When he is done and calm, You can talk to him about being nice and "nice touches"..such as hugs and kisses or hig fives to older sibling, applaude his efforts.
    Good Luck and hang in there! It does get better
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:46 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You need to find out if you are doing that provides him support for his behaviors. What I mean by that is this: I have a friend who's beautiful little girl would pull her sister's hair. My friend would tickle her to get her to let go of the hair. She would pull the hair to get the tickle. She would run when called because my friend would chase her and the scoop her up into the air. Mom wasn't having fun but daughter surely was. So, make sure you aren't providing positive reinforcement to actions. Make a journal of when he does the behavior and how you react. After a few days you should be able to look back and see what, if anything, is going on.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I highly recommend Happiest Toddler on the Block. It really gives good perspective into the differences of how a toddler views things and how a baby views things. Their reasoning skills change so much at this age that sometimes things you used to do (like redirecting their attention to something else) isn't as easy as it used to be. The book or DVD gives you some good ways to reason and understand your child, and even better it provides you ways to make your point of view understandable for your LO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You need to establish who is the parent here. Serious discipline every single day. Do not let him get away with one thing. Praise him often and loudly for the things he does right. Love him enough to teach him right from wrong..
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Try not to compare them because every child is different. My son through his very first fit at one yr of age and I was shocked. He didnt do the biting thing which I hear many do at that age but trust me he replaced it with someother bad behavior. This is the testing stage to see what they can get away with but also keep in mind a child needs to be able to show how there feeling so if there mad let them get angry but of course he needs to know not to bite others and you get the point. We have been doing time outs with our three yr old and it has worked ever since we started and hes 3 1/2 now. Im not ok with the spanking thing even though he has gotten a few taps on his bottom or leg before, I think theres more productive ways to disapline your child. I used to think my kid was the only one who acted that way but lord was I wrong, I have seen it all lol. If he sat there all day and did nothing and showed no expresion then I
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Cont... would be worried.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

• my daughter almost three
    acted up
    but more onto herself
    bangs head into hard objects, tantrums like is possessed
    but also had a rash mostly on inside of arms (elbow pit)
    RED DYE 40!!! and all artifical dyes
    i took out of her diet, she is better
    i hope your son eats this because this could be the problem and a quick help when taken out

told her doc, he did not believe me (looking for new ped dr)

daughter getting tested for autism, she will have it and these kids and others i assume have a lot of issues with diet

it is not the sugar that makes kids crazy = it is the artifical dyes in the food

it MAY be his diet that makes him like this???
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Also stop and review your self, this is something I always do as a parent because I want to make sure Im doing everything possible to be the best parent to my children. Are you spending enought time with your youngest, story time , play time things like that and you might even try fitting alone time when daddys home with each of them. Are you yelling at him when he acts this way, can you handle it better? Just things like that
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010