Is there a virus going around that looks like strep throat but its not?

I took my son to Rainbow Rapid Care on Saturday. They did a rapid strep test and it came back negative. They sent it to the lab to see if it grows anything, I'm waiting for the call. Someone told me this morning that there is a virus going around that looks like strep?
My son has blister like puss pockets in his throat, on his tonsils and starting to form in th eback of his mouth! He's had a low grade fever since Thursday...of 99 or 100. HE has to mush everythign up to eat. He's been waking up all hours of the night crying...and he's 10 years old and does not cry much for pain...he has a pain tolerance of King King,lol. And on Saturday he developed that strep rash that you sometimes get with strep that goes untreated. Its on his lower face,chin and neck. The hosp hasnt called yet and I'm getting worried because I really think this is strep and he needs antibiotics Is there something gong around that is simliar but not strep

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i was just reading about hand foot and mouth disease. it doesn't usually require treatment. it starts with a fever, gets the throat blisters and a skin rash.
    if you suspect scarlet fever, it is bacterial and does respond to antibiotics.
    just wait for the culture, and good luck and good health to you and you son!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• SCARLET FEVER!!! My friend and her 6 month old son have this!! They had all the same symptoms as your son!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My friend's son has this, and it sounds like what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie_A_virus
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• scarlet fever???
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Scarlet fever would have had a positive strep test. The test may have been faulty. Have them retest him with a different strep test and insist on antibiotics anyway. He has an infection that doesn't sound viral. Good luck.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Not to worry. Kids with normal immune systems don't need to be treated with antibiotics for strep throat. Of course antibiotics don't work for viral infections. You need to ask your doctor's office, ER, health department, or some other local health care place in your area about a virus going around. This web site is for moms everywhere!

The symptoms you describe could be mono. I'm a medical lab tech and I used to work at a college health center where we saw lots of cases of mono. I got mono while I worked there. I had the same symptoms as your son at first. You can get a neck rash that spreads, it can look like poison ivy. You may want to have him checked if they didn't.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2010