Any tips for organizing a craft room?

I have an extra bedroom that I plan on using as sort of a craft room. I have a lot of gift wrapping supplies, some scrapbooking supplies, cake decorating supplies, and other miscellaneous supplies like beads, glue sticks, ribbon, etc. Do you have any tips on organizing all of this? The room is about 11' x 11'.

andrea96

Asked by andrea96 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Lots of shelves and CLEAR bins/baskets. I need to see all of my stuff so I don't forget what I have. Here's some great ideas. http://www.hgtv.com/organizing/organized-craft-room-ideas/index.html

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Getting the small 3 or 4 drawer storage containers are great for the little items. Milk crates are great for storing scrapbook paper. Also A hanging shoe holder is great. They have the clear ones so you can put tons of stuff in them then label everyting so you cna find it quickly. Plastic stackable shoe boxes are great too because you can label them and since they stack you can use a buch and they wont take up a ton of space.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I love hte cube things at target - or you can use the plastic organizing bins from walmart....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I wish I could just come help you! I love organizing things! However, it can get expensive so you have to figure out how much you have to spend then look for good deals on shelves and containers. I would put up a couple shelves (or just buy standing book shelves so you don't have to drill into the wall). Then, get some containers that fit on the shelves and start filling them. Don't forget to label everything. Do you have a table or desk you could put in there? I like the wrapping paper containers that stand up in the corner...they take up less space than the kind that lay flat on the floor (unless you have a bed to hid them under). Good luck and have fun!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• have a friend help you
    always easier for some reason to organize another person space
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• shelves and labeled baskets
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I use shelves and lots of various sizes of plastic boxes to store my craft supplies. Beads in 1 box. Paper in another box. Then I label all the boxes and stack them on the shelves so I can read the labels. I wish I had a whole room for my craft supplies! Right now, they are relegated to the closet in our schoolroom. I plan on building a workbench into the closet with shelves and a table to work on. But for now, this works. Good luck!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• check out martha stewart's website for organizing ideas. she is good!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Ok, 1st buy a used dresser with a taller 5 drawer standing type of style. (use your own if their is one ) but if these aren't around just look at going to consignment stores. They'll have one. Also a shorter but longer dresser, like a buffet style with height around mid waist. This top will be used for your gadgets. : Tape, paper, and sorting during times of wrapping. >>that sort of thing. Place these 2 dressers in a back wall out of the way of your doors and closets. Use these to store anything and just keep each drawer for 1 type of craft style. Wood projects 1 drawer. Wrapping 1 drawer. Scrapbooking 1 drawer . Cake supplies 1 drawer. Like I mentioned for the surface to wrap , keep the buffet style dresser for that, using the top of dresser surface. You can just put simple sticker/ labels or a pretty stencil to mark each drawer . stencils can be made by hand with cereal box boards.
    Let me know how this.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2010