I took a Japanese history course last semester, but I don't remember much of what I studied.

Right now, I no longer remember the names of any of the kings, dynasties, and empires. I can only remember some general facts about Japanese castles and the samurai. I am not stupid. I got a B in this course. I am just horrible with names. For my final exam, I had to memorize the names of all the dynasties and rulers. Then, I forgot all of the names about 2-3 hours after I took the exam. I am a junior in college, majoring in Anthropology. I am very interested in learning about other cultures, but I can never remember foreign names. Is there anything wrong with my brain?

Annak24

Asked by Annak24 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in

• No, there is nothing wrong with your brain. Your method of studying obviously needs to be changed though.
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 11:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The problem is that you are not learning this material, you are memorizing it. I, too, had that problem. Sometimes students tend to get busy and just memorize for the test and once the test is over with, then we forget it. Are you involved in any good study groups? If not, then I encourage you to join one. A good study group will have discussion not only on notes, book/material, and lectures, but some go over things more in-depth about the subject matter. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2010