Is it bad to straighten a 3 y/0's hair once in a while?

I haven't done it yet, but she has massive curls, and I want to see what she looks like with straight hair.

xoxticiaxox

Asked by xoxticiaxox at 11:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't think so. I mean, if it was just every now and then. I've done my DD's hair 2 times...once for pics and once for a wedding. But her hair isn't curly, she just had bed head.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• With any of our hair..done often it can dry it out. But If you were to do it just a couple of times, I would think it would be alright. Its fun to play with thier hair,lol. Maybe you can do it without heat. Like, using a round brush and a hair dryer with a cool setting.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Any type of heat applied to her hair is going to damage it, even just a bit. That being said I've seen quite a few African American little girls w/ straight hair. As long as its only once in a while I don't see the harm.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have done it to my 3 year old before (for the same reasons as you- warning she may end up looking like a lion with a huge mane LOL) just make sure it is on the lowest setting and stay away from the scalp. If she seems uncomfortable or like it hurts- stop. But my DD loved it!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Leave those beautiful curls alone. I wouldn't even do it once.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:06 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Do you mean blow it dry straight or use a chemical straightening product. I think it's OK to blow it out, but definitely not to use a chemical straightener. I love girls with curls! My daughter had them until she was 3, now her hair is stick straight.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• MOMPAM, I would never use chemical straightener, not even on my own hair. Just with a brush and blow dryer. Her curls aren't "nice" curls. They look like a rats nest.
    xoxticiaxox

Comment by xoxticiaxox (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• try a blowdryer. My DD has very curly hair as well and when I use the blowdryer it makes her hair a little straighter. Just brush why you blowdry. I have straightened her hair though not sure if it is bad on her hair though
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree! Try the blow dryer with a round brush :)
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 11:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• OR, you could use hair care products that are designed for curly hair. The "Kids" products will damage curly hair- curly hair is HOLLOW, and needs extra moisture.
    If you use the correct products, her curls will (within a week or so), look gorgeous. You just need to learn how to care for them.
    I have EXTREMELY curly hair, and blow drying it, even once every couple of weeks, causes so much damage... She was born with curls, teach her how to love them and care for them, not to make them something they're not. Curly hair will be a challenge her whoe life- teach her to love them and be proud of them.

Pantene for curly hair, works well- but you MUST use a conditioner on her hair.
    Infusium 23 also works WONDERS, and is what I prefer to use.

Do a little research, and learn how to care for it. A bristle brush should not be used on curls- either a wide tooth comb, or a paddle brush.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2010