I took a Japanese history course last semester, but I don't remember much of what I studied.

Right now, I no longer remember the names of any of the kings, dynasties, and empires. I can only remember some general facts about Japanese castles and the samurai. I am not stupid. I got a B in this course. I am just horrible with names. For my final exam, I had to memorize the names of all the dynasties and rulers. Then, I forgot all of the names about 2-3 hours after I took the exam. I am a junior in college, majoring in Anthropology. I am very interested in learning about other cultures, but I can never remember foreign names. Is there something wrong with my brain?

Annak24

Asked by Annak24 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• nothings wrong w/ you. my DH cant remember names & places either. DH and i have the same degree and while i do remember places & names i cant remember the affects of drugs & he can. we're all different.

you remembered the info for the test & got a good grade, nothings wrong w/ you. and sometimes the stress of school can keep you from remembering information until you need to. when you arent saving brain space for other classes you will be surprised how easily things come to you. its in there, you just need a good reason to remember it (like a test or part of your job).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have the same problem with names, I just can't remember them. It is a worry. I used to do as you did, memorize for exams and then let it go. When there is a good reason for you to remember, maybe the names will stick with you longer.

Answer by Bmat at 11:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010