Parents who have a child with speech delay...

My son is 3 1/2 and his speech is on a 1 1/2 yr olds level. We totally waisted 2 1/2 yrs with ECI they did not work one on one with him ever and just watched him play. They would give me advice which I used some of what I thought was exceptable. Not giving him food untill he said the word was not one of them!! We are now with a group here in north texas called therapy 2000 and she comes out twice a week and works one on one. Shes very thourough and has him talk to her using his words instead of baby talk. He has inproved very much over the past year but this is all on his own not because someone else helped him. He used to only be able to say a hand full of words and he has blossomed so much lately. I just want to know Im not alone because I get very sad when hes trying to tell me something and I dont know what it is and he cant show me because its not something he can, I just want to cry sometimes cause I feel bad.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:10 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has a delay also. ECI did not do anything either. He went to Head Start for 2 yrs and working with the Rehab place here helped a lot.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I also feel very guilty because he was my first child and I was learning as I went but I used to let him watch little bear in his crib all the time from the time he was like 6 months to a year in his crib. I look back and realize how horrible of a parent I was to do that and trust me I live for my babys I will even be homeschooling them so I devote my life and everything to them but I screwed up and I feel like I held his speech back by letting him watch tv in his crib, like he had a portible dvd player. He has been evaluated by several different specialist for different companys and even the school district here and they all say that he only has a speech delay and there are no other signs of autism or anything else someone might think. His motor skills and what he can understand are right up to where his age is but its his ability to verbally comunicate that hes having a problem in. The only positive thing about this is that
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• hes not in a stand still hes progressing very well. This is just very hard as a mother to deal witht his and I can only imagine how he feels when we dont understand what he wants or wants to do. If I dont understand something he tells me then I will think about it and replay what he said over and over again in my head untill I get it so we dont just ignore him I dont think thats right.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I believe this happens at times with children. My daughter was 2 when she was in speech. I thought they were a joke sometimes when they would point at our tv, vcr, ect and ask her what it was. I mean most kids know right? Well she did but couldn't say it. She though had a sezuire that messed up her speech. Not saying that your son has I also now that my 5 yr old has had nothing wrong with him and he has trouble with speech as well. For a year now he has began to stutter I asked his preschool teacher about it and she had speech work with him. He was ok for awhile now he's doing it again. I would just take one day at a time. Know that your not alone... HUGE hugs...
    Sorry I couldn't help more.
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• YOu are definitely not alone!!! Both of my boys have mild Autism, and their autism primarily manifests itself in their inability to have a conversation and social development with peers. NEITHER of my children spoke until the age of 4!!! Now, at the ages of 8 and 6, I can't keep them quiet!! LOL :O)

We did the home intervention program starting when they were 2 and 1 (we understood autism better with #2 and got him into the program immediately). I loved my home speech therapist--she worked tirelessly with them, and gave them a very strong phonetic base, taught them (and me) sign language, and how to use PECS--Picture Exchange system.

Even though they weren't verbal until age 4, we all understood each other wonderfully, and as they were able to express their wants and needs, their frustrations and tantrums reduced SIGNIFICANTLY! :o) Keep reading to him, and make HIM come to you using his words--it's most effective!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ECI was a god send in our case - until he turned 3 and the program changed... We have a local Child Rehab place here for 3+ and they have worked wonders. He had started talking normally, but at about 16 months he quit talking altogether. Now, he's 4 and he's got sounds and words he shouldn't even have yet, so it's been wonderful, but still a long process!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Im glad to hear your son has blossomed! My neighbor's child is 7 now but he had severe speech delays. He was able to attend preschool and then Kindergarten. (The laws may be different in your state about meeting requirements to attend preschool.) You may be able to get your child qualified to attend public school even though he is 3 1/2. Have you checked into it?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Thank you 3gigglemonsters, no my son will be homeschooled but they do offer through the public school help for his speech but I dont feel comforable sending him there with other children because hes not able to tell me if something has happend to him. Basicall he cant deffend himself verbaly and I dont trust others. Hes getting plenty of help here in our home from a speach patholigist, shes wonderful!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my son is 7 1/2 and has speech delays since he was little but don't qualify for speech at school which is insane he drops consanents like crazy sorry bad speller he can say them if you make him repeat them but he won't just try to say them right when he's talking they won't help him I am going to have to hire a speech therapist to work with him because the school won't
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• We didn't have a good experience with our local EI.My son was almost four before he really started to speak and now, at almost five, it seems like it's all he does. :) It was really hard, not understanding him. We were all so frustrated by it... But we kept enforcing the idea of "use your words" and we got him picture cards and we would work on the sounds of the letters... It's helped. I'm glad your son is doing better. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 12:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010