Boys and pooping

My son is potty training and has the peeing part down pretty well. It is the pooping he is having a problem with. He knows he has to poop but is squeezing his butt together and intern holding it in rather than pushing it out. He cries that he has to poop but just isn't getting the sensation right to push is what I'm guessing. Anyone have this happen to their son? Wondering if it's common.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 11:11 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• After having potty trained three boys, I have to say the poop is the tricky part. Our third son is still iffy on that part though he pees like a pro. ;) When I know he's got to go, we go to the bathroom away from the other kids and I turn the fan on to drown out the noise. We read a book and he knows that he's not getting up til he goes. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 12:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He eventually told me he was scared to let his poop go. Let him know it's okay to poop in the toilet.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son is not potty training age yet, but from what I hear, this is actually very common. Pooping in the toilet is a huge psychological deal for kids, and is not an easy task for most. Just be patient and encouraging, and he will get it. Good luck!
    lalalabanana

Answer by lalalabanana at 11:13 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• He has done it sometimes. I feel so bad for him. I don't know if he is physically hurting or not. He cries and goes to the toilet and sits on it shortly and says Pooping. Then looks in there. Poor guy.
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Yes, very common. Can you read a book whilehe sits on the potty to relax him and spend time with him? That might be all he needs. Be patient. One of my biggest regrets is not being patient enough with my youngest during this time. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• My son had such a hard time with it that we ended up having to put him on stool softeners to help him. It was a miserable time for all. My second son is starting the same thing right now...I'm not looking forward to it!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2010