Do you think people who don't go to church but believe in God and Jesus are still going to go to hell?

*A spin off of my own question*
I was just wondering why it is so important for a Christian to follow a congregation in order to feel they have a secure spot in Heaven? If you believe in God and Christ and you worship him the way you worship him in your own home or where ever, why does that seem inferior to those who DO go to church? Why must we follow a priest or a pastor's word in order to consider it the "right way"?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 11:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think you have top attend church just be saved. I have never read that anywhere. It's more bad people than good in the church. I think you can still have a personal relationship with good without church. I can read, pray and worship at home.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• *with God*
    JayRo00

• I dont see why people feel like they HAVE to go to church to get into heaven. I think if there is a God, he loves us all regardless of where we choose to worship.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree! A good person is a good person. God will know the difference? :)
    Sherrae

Answer by Sherrae at 11:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• NO
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I consider myself a Christian, but I rarely go to Church. I don't think someone who goes to church every week is any better than I am and I don't think I'm better than them. I also don;t think someone's church attendance determines whether they get into Heaven or not.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• nope, but it could be b/c i dont always go to church or see the point of it (from a salvation pov). i think the reason some ppl believe only church going Christians will go to heaven is that they assume the non-church goers dont worship in their own time. and some denominations teach that the church speaks for God and if the church says to go then God says you should go.

disclaimer: i also dont believe that only Christians get to heaven...so that probably skews my answer haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• That would make all the people who insist on doing missionary work and traveling to 3rd world country to convert people who "don't know any better" some pretty heartless bastards, now wouldn't it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• no...for the bible says where two gather in my name....I didn't go to church for a while because of health issues...I still believed....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No. That's for the individual to ask themselves.

I think it is important for believers to belong with a family of other believers for the same reason that I believe children need a family. I am not saying you can't be Christian without one, but that it is best for support, growth, encouragement, accountability, etc. It doesn't matter if it's in a building, in a home, in a cave.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:27 AM on Jun. 28, 2010