what would you do if your hubby wouldn't listen to you even though you knew what would happen?

my dh is so interested in buying a house and he wants one that's ready to rent out the basement..so here's the deal he will have that rent money to help him w the payment but NO money to do unexpected repairs should they come up. He thinks he wil have money to fix them but WHERE IS THE MONEY??? Some of the homes we looked at have to be rent ready and are not so we would have to have the money to get them that way grr..He will not listen at all! He never does when I tell him something until it's too late when he does realize I was right..i personally think we should rent until we can save up enough a couple thousand just in case..But his reply to that is it's expensive to rent it's rent plus utilities and I've explained numerous times we won't pay utilities the same time of month we pay the rent and we don't have to fix things when they go wrong either. I mean I'm sick to death of his not listening till it's too late. cont.

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• op- I have told him I will leave him if he don't start listening to me and taking what I say serious but he has an issue with not listening till it's too damn late how would you deal w a dh w very very selective hearing???
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Sounds like he needs to work out a budget and see it all in black and white.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:21 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• um, I went through this and refused to sign the papers. He couldn't get the loans with out me.

It almost destroyed our marriage.

and then the housing bubble burst, and I did NOT say I told you so.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• op- I wrote out how much money we use each month and he still don't get it it's like the most frustrating thing in our marriage it's what we fight about the most is him not listening to me
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• the thing is it will destroy our marriage because even if the house market is very low we still couldn't make the payment w/o renting the basement out which we'd have to have backup money and we don't OP_
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Did you actually write down ALL of your income sources (AFTER taxes!), versus ALL of your expenses?!

I find it hard to believe that if, for example you take home $5000 per month in income, that spending say, $6000 a month, and being in the whole for $1000 doesn't make him comprehend that you can't afford it right now?

BUT, the one good thing is, since you are married, he cannot legally take out a loan without your signature--in at least a dozen places!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• he don't believe it lorikeet until it's too late and slaps him in the face he's dumb about money. this is what drives me so freakin crazy!
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Has he even tried getting pre-approved for a mortgage yet? The way things are now, the banks will NOT take that kind of risk. So let him try to take out the loan and see what happens. I agree with you that he is being foolish and I don't know why he can't get it through his head, so I guess you need to let the bank tell him 'no'.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2010