Full-time preschool or babysitter plus MDO?

This fall I have to choose between taking my 2 year old to the babysitter and having him in Mother's Day Out 2 days a week or enroll him in 5 day preschool with extended hours. Sometimes I work 1 day and sometimes 5. I would only take him when I work except for the MDO. The babysitter is $30 a day. The MDO is $250 a month I think and the preschool is $150 a week.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Group care is the worst choice. A 2 yo is not developmentally ready for life in groups of kids. Care providers can't give your child the attention he deserves.

You forgot to preface this comment with "in my opinion." And tell that to a family of five with a two year old. Aren't they living life in a group of kids? And I take it you've never actually had kids in group daycare. The kids that tend to fare well on their own, play alone. Those that do well with one or two kids, play with one or two kids. It's not like they force them to play with the entire group all day. Besides, having one teacher care for 3-4 children is no different than a mom of 3-4 or home daycare with 3 kids. It's the same amount of attention. Why the daycare hate? Especially since you've never actually experienced it?
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The best choice is care in your home. You could find a mom to come to your home with her 2 year old so your child has a playmate. I used to do this when I was a single mom with young kids. The second best choice is a mom in her home that has no other kids she is caring for except her own. Third best is day care in a home setting with as few kids as possible and no babies. Group care is the worst choice. A 2 yo is not developmentally ready for life in groups of kids. Care providers can't give your child the attention he deserves.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would pick which ever is cheaper since either way you will have to pay if your child shows up or not.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am all for preschool, but he is still on the young side to be paying that much money now.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 11:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• The right choice is whichever you're most comfortable with and can afford.

It sounds like you need you something with flexibility. If that's the case, the babysitter and MDO sounds like a good option.

Gailll, in a perfect world, yes, a parent or personal caregiver would be in the home with a child. But few of us life in a perfect world and many of us have to work to support our families without the in-home option. We all do what we can to care for our kids. I've worked 2 days a week since the birth of my son. I'm lucky in that my parents can watch the kids when I'm at work. I have friends, however, who were not as lucky and needed a full-time income and day care. Their children are just fine.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2010