Am I wasting my money?

I am in school for accounting but I really want to be a stay at home mom.
When I first enrolled my husband was at a go nowhere job but know he has a better job with chance for advancement I don't want to be a career woman I wanna be a stay at home mom I have 1 three year old and want another and I am 23.

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 11:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think having a degree is ever a waste of money. What if (God forbid, I know) something were to happen to your dh and you needed to support your kid(s)? I am a SAHM and have 2 degrees - higher education is a good thing and the more kids you have, the harder it will be to go back and get.

Answer by missanc at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• any education you can get is better than none. What would you do if God forbid your husband died - how would you get a job?
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Maybe. Maybe not. You may change your mind when your kids get older and decide you want to get a job and your education is something that no one can ever take away from you.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree....I wish I stayed in school and got my degree. I wasn't thinking of my "future" only the present.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• No, you aren't wasting your money by going to school. If you ever change your mind, when the kids are older or are adults, you will have a degree to fall back on to help get a job. And you are making yourself more rounded and more capable in teaching your kids things.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would still go with your education cause you never know when your baby gets older and in school or moves out you may want that job
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think you are. You can do accounting jobs from home while you are still a SAHM. This is what I plan on ding some day.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You should at least get a degree but you shouldn't do what you don't want to. I'm the same way, I DO NOT want a career and I made damn sure to let SO know numerous times. As long as your honest and your family is taken care of you can be what you want.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't think you are wasting your money. I think it's great you want to be a SAHM ( I'm a SAHM myself) but you never know when you might need to go to work. If (God forbid) something happens to your husband, you'll need a job to support yourself and your child. I was a nurse before I had kids but I still keep my license active just in case.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• You are wasting your money if it isn't something you are not enjoying. Essentially you are paying to be miserable. Go with what you want to do, a degree isn't everything and not necessary to live a good life.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:45 AM on Jun. 28, 2010