When did you take Nuk away?

My son is 1 year old, and he's off of bottles now (he's still breastfed), but he still likes his Nuk at naptime and nighttime, we try to avoid it at other times. When did you (or do you plan) on weaning your lo of their paci, and how did you do it?

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 11:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I weaned all of mine at 2 yrs old.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 11:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• my nephew is 2 and hasn't been trying to take it away yet, but my kids never took it that long. My first only for 2 weeks she took herself off of it. My second was on it for maybe 4 months then she took herself off of it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• With my oldest we just "lost it" one night when he was 2 1/2 - he cried that night, but never again. My youngest is 19 months and still uses his at naptime and bedtime - we would probably go ahead and take it away, but I'm due in 1 1/2 weeks and think he may need the additional comfort is gives him for a period of time after the new baby gets here. We plan to take it away around 2.

Answer by missanc at 11:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I got lucky, and my LO weaned herself off of it around 6 months. I've heard great things about the "Binky fairy" where you take all the paci's and put them in a bag, and the fairy comes and gets them, and leaves a new toy to play with. Or something along those lines. Kinda like the bottle fairy.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• none of my kids ever had one. they gave bailey one in the hospital and i threw it away as soon as i got home
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I just stopped giving it about a month ago so Im gonna say 10 months.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I was really relaxed about taking them away. (I have four children) They were all weaned from the bottle by a year, but I let them hang onto the paci until they were almost three, but only very limited. Never out of the house and rarely for anything but sleep. Three sounds old for a paci but it is amazing how fast it goes... I always found myself going maybe tomarrow I'll fight that battle...
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I cut a hole in the end of it the day before their first birthday and they didn't want it anymore. Very simple and painless.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• between one and two. What worked well for my son what his got a whole in it and he told me it was yucky and said "yep it is go throw it away" and he did. (he did not know I had another one stashed away) and when he asked for it I told him....remember it was yucky and you threw it away. Within a week, out of sight out of mind!
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 11:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I took my daughter of of it at 12 months old. I figured the earlier i did it the better it would be. She was very dependent on it as well. When she was 9months I took it away from her during the day and she only got it in her bed when she was asleep. So she was used to not having it during the day.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2010