Why do people do this?

Take random verses out of the Bible, and use them together to make a point.
Like one from romans, then one from Isaiah, then another from Mark.

If it's the divine Word of God, what makes people think they know the order of it better than he does?

Also, just so you know, it wasn't written in verses. those were put in as place holders, not divine division. You have to read an entire book to get the feel of one sentence.

it would be like picking up John Grishams a painted house, taking a line from chapter four, and saying you understand the book.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:58 AM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• HAHAHA!!! i love 'the painted house'!! (and yes, i agree with you!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I would think because it would be hard to recite the entire bible in mid conversation! And typing it out for questions here, would give you carpel tunnel.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I guess it's easier to argue the semantics of the taken-out-of-context excuse than to acknowlege that, regardless of context, the words SAY what they say. When the bible tells a parent to stone an arrogant, disobedient child to death (Deut. 21:18-21) all the tap-dancing in the world isn't going to change the meaning or intent of the words "they shalt stone him with stones, that he die". You can throw it in or out of context. THE WORDS SAY WHAT THEY SAY! If god's so-called word were clear, you wouldn't feel so obliged to "interpret" what you think he REALLY meant. Christians feel so qualified to do this whenever I throw out a bible verse that doesn't agree with their notion of the bible, or the vicious nature of their "loving" god. They explain to me what their unknowable deity REALLY meant when he wrote this. I guess they don't get how ridiculous that is.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I agree. That makes it too easy for them to spread hate by taking things out of context.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• lol, Sabrina...

that is true, but it really bothers me when one line (or a verse) is used as proof of something that if you read the whole chapter, that meaning just isn't there.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I don't know that they are necessarily trying to "put it in order" more than they are trying to get their point across.

Sometimes with a topic there are many versus that apply.

Everyone interprets the bible differently. We all think we are right. Who are you or anyone else to say how it's meant to be read???
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• because Miasmommy, The Archbishop of Canterbury added the verse place holder in 1220 or so (i forget the exact year.) it was done to make discussion easier. Not to divide the work.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Right. There are verses to consider that has to be used into the whole context of the bible, but some are point blank.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• People use sources to prove their point that they believe have an authority or authenticity to them. The bible, for a lot of people, is a source of authority and authenticity.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• ...oh and translations are many.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2010