Advil pm on first 8 weeks of pregnancy? How bad is it for the baby?

momy_annie

Asked by momy_annie at 12:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can't answer that, but I know you can take tylenol pm.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• wow I didnt know that you could take anything but regular tylenol, im 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby. Id ask your dr to be safe.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 12:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I didnt know Im pregnant until the 8th week. I stopped taking it after I found out Im pregnant.
    momy_annie

Comment by momy_annie (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• tylenol the med to take, but if you did not know that you were (8 weeks is early)
    talk to your dr, or even better call a pharmist, they are a wealth of info and most (even if you do not not get prescriptions filled there) are very willing to give info on meds, and i think pharmists are more knowledgeable than most mds on drugs and interactions
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• So I went to the doc 2 days ago. Told me to stop taking Advil as it has ibufrofen in it. Said that as long as I didnt have any spotting or anything like that, then everything's fine. But I am really stressing out about it. But calling a pharmacist is a very good idea. Will do that now. Will post the outcome here in a few.
    momy_annie

Comment by momy_annie (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Your not suppose to take advil if I'm not mistaken unless your doctor says otherwise. I know Tylenol is pretty much the only thing you can take, tylenol sinus, tylenol pm, tylenol extra strength, benedryl, nothing on this list I have says advil anything I don't think it would hurt if you have only taken it once but you really need to talk to your doctor cause from what I've read it says always ask a medical professional before taking advil while pregnant or breastfeeding, especially during the last 3 months of pregnancy so if advil has that warning on their ingredients page I would ask your doc before taking anymore.
    MrsMorton080508

Answer by MrsMorton080508 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• LOL. Pharmacist said that if doctor says everything's fine then everything's fine. I guess I should just stop stressing out about it. Thanks for your answers.
    momy_annie

Comment by momy_annie (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• yeah stressing out about it won't make you or the baby feel any better. Good Luck.
    MrsMorton080508

Answer by MrsMorton080508 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I stopped taking it the moment I learned I'm pregnant.
    momy_annie

Comment by momy_annie (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I am studying to be a pharmacy technician and as both a mother and a scholar I have to say no. Don't take anything but regular acetaminophen (tylenol). I am not familiar with the specifics but it can cause harm to the fetus particularly during the last 3 months but you should not use it at all unless directed to do so by a doctor. If you have taken it once or twice before you found out you were pregnant I wouldn't stress about it, but do not continue to take this medication. Diphenhydramine (found in both Tylenol and Advil PM) has a pregnancy class B, meaning its not expected to have effect on the pregnancy but animal studies have shown there MAY be a relationship between this drug used in the first tri and cleft palate. So too be safe I would sick to reg tylenol (which no studies have shown signs of adverse effects on a fetus).
    youngmommi2be

Answer by youngmommi2be at 12:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2010