when was a little girl in first grade, i had a question

I was in catholic school. the priest came into the classroom and all of us little people were sitting on our rug squares listening. He told us that if a person does not believe in Jesus, then they will not get into heaven. I thought this not to be true in my heart, as Jesus is all love (IMO). So, I raised my hand, he called on me and I said "how about the people who have never heard of Jesus but live their life as Jesus would have". The priest told me that "God makes sure that all people hear the word of Christ." I raised my hand again and said "how about the people deep in the rain forest who have not had contact with white people and so have never heard about Jesus, but if they live in the example of Jesus, then wouldn't they go to heaven quicker than someone who believes in jesus but does not live like Jesus."

the priest had no answer for this outspoken little girl

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 12:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Then perhaps the priest wasn't as familar with the teachings of the Catholic church as he should have been. The idea of "invincible ingonance" has been an understanding of Catholic teaching for a long time. It's the understanding that "Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation." (from the Catholic Catechism here - http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm#847
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I like your story. Do you have a question about those who do not hear about God?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• I have always felt that there has to be exceptions also. My sister, at about the same age, asked the question do animals go to heaven and they couldn't give her an answer either. Funny...
    SandraLee242

Answer by SandraLee242 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• Its cool. Just sharing a story, an experience then.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• 3 giggles
    no not really question
    maybe a soft descusion about heaven
    saw another question on who goes to heaven and who does not

remembered this
    and even though it was me
    it was not really because i am in fourties and this was a 6 yr old
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• sandra, when i was little in catholic school, they said animals do not
    i was pretty mad about that, until i realized i can make up my own mind on what i believe and what i think is hogwash
    that came in 2nd grade
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• eringbrough
    thanks
    this may have helped this little girl stay in the catholic church
    i saw too many who went to church in the right clothes and said the right words in church but did not live the words or teachings
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2010

• fiatpax - it sounds like we're about the same age. I think in some places the teaching wasn't as good as it should have been. I learned what I told you when I asked the same question as a kid. I also was taught that animals didn't have eternal souls like we do so they don't go to heaven right away, But after Christ comes and we live on the new heaven and new earth iwith God who is all powerful it's certainly possible that God would recreate our favorite pets to be there with us. And in the meantime being able to be with God in heaven and surrounded by his love would make us truely happy.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2010